bubbling for 5 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ads123

Reaction score
My home brew has been bubbling for 5 weeks. Should i bottle or leave it longer?

By bubbling do you mean the airlock is bubbling or the beer is making kraeusen (looks kind of like foam)?

Can you tell us what type of beer it is, the recipe, temperature of fermentation, etc. so the situation can be assessed more accurately.

The beer is drought beer from coopers. The temp has been around 24 - 28 on a daily.

Okay, I'll get this one. :cracks knuckles:

1: Airlock bubbles have nothing to do with fermentation. The experts around here will tell you, they've all had batches finished wihout any visible bubbles in the airlock, and they've had bubbling in the airlock that didn't mean fermentation.

If your FG is constant over 3 days, it's about time to bottle. If you haven't checked FG with a hydrometer, there's no way to tell where your brew is.

Thanks for that, i will give it a go. Sounds like i should be bottling any day now.

It's probably time to bottle. The bubbles in your airlock are most likely CO2 that is working its way out of the beer and pushing up through the airlock. I'd venture to say you aren't getting very many bubbles at this point and you should never use an airlock to gauge fermentation. Use the hydrometer and life will be good.

Back