When to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeoalex

Reaction score
Aright guys, this is a very noob question...but I'm gonna ask it anyways. I brewed a raspberry wheat (Midwest kit) a week ago, Thursday night. I work 60-70 hours a week (as a production assistant on a TV show...hooray). I took a sample after I pitched my yeast, took my OG reading, and then put it in a spare bottle. I tested that sample on thursday, And found that I was .002 off from my estimated FG. I decided to test again last night and then again this morning, both times I was at 1.012, which was the low end of the FG. My question becomes, can I bottle? Or should I wait until next week to bottle? I also bought a 5gal carboy, so I'm also considering sending it to secondary for a week or two. What do you guys think my best course of action is?

I'm not a huge fan of a test bottle, as its really not the same as testing your actual beer. With proper sanitation you're not in any danger of infecting your beer. So....

1. I'd let it sit at least two weeks before I even took a reading. And that's because its a wheat, other styles I wait 3-4 weeks. At that point its only to confirm FG, as lots of other things have happened that cleaned up the beer for you.

2. You can bottle now probably, it just won't be as good as if oyu waited.

3. Secondary is up to you, it can be a heated debate on here. I wouldn't bother with a wheat, others would. Your call.

The second 2 readings came from the fermenting bucket, only reason I opened the bucket was because my test bottle looked to be pretty much done

As far as secondary, I bought it largely so I could have multiple batches when I'm back at school, I understand for wheats, it's not as desirable.

1.012 isn't an unreasonable FG,I've gotten that on some pale ales. My wife's wit went down to 1,010,so,imo,you're pretty close.

the estimated FG of this brew is 1.012-1.017, and I got it 2 days in a row, which is why i was thinking about going to bottle, but I do know that it is generally understood that it should stay in primary for 2 weeks...which is why I'm asking the question haha

If it tastes good (for green beer,mind you),then it's ok to bottle. Let it sit if it needs more time to clear to a slight haze,or if it has any "off" flavors.

green beer?
I think it's pretty good, there's kind of a harsher alcohol flavor at the end, but I feel like that should be a little bit better once it carbonates and does a little bit of bottle conditioning...right?
I'd either bottle today, or bottle next weekend, as there is no time with work during the week

edit: I thikn that it MAY be slightly darker than where it should be, but will it lighten if I let it sit a little longer?

green beer?
I think it's pretty good, there's kind of a harsher alcohol flavor at the end, but I feel like that should be a little bit better once it carbonates and does a little bit of bottle conditioning...right?
I'd either bottle today, or bottle next weekend, as there is no time with work during the week

edit: I thikn that it MAY be slightly darker than where it should be, but will it lighten if I let it sit a little longer?

Bottle next weekend. Two weeks or so in the fermenter is a good practice.

It won't lighten in color, but more "stuff" will fall out meaning that it'll be less crud in the bottles later.

ok, i think i'll hold off until next week then. The next question is that I have a batch of sanitizer mixed up in my bottling bucket, covered with saran wrap...do you guys think that'l last until next week? or would I be better off just dumping it and mixing up a new batch next week (it's not a HUGE deal if it's better to dump...just less wasteful)

ok, i think i'll hold off until next week then. The next question is that I have a batch of sanitizer mixed up in my bottling bucket, covered with saran wrap...do you guys think that'l last until next week? or would I be better off just dumping it and mixing up a new batch next week (it's not a HUGE deal if it's better to dump...just less wasteful)

What kind of sanitizer is it?

what kind of sanitizer?

yeah, that'd probably be an important factor...it's been a long week haha
it's starsan

ah, well, then it'll be fine for along time. They say you can use it until it turns cloudy or the pH rises above 3 (I think- I never checked the pH). It turns cloudy right away in my hard water, but it's still good. I started mixing up only a gallon at a time, using distilled water and storing it in the jug the water comes in. It'll last indefinitely that way, and you don't need more than that for a typical brewday anyway. When I'm done, I pour it back into the jug and reuse it.

yeah, that'd probably be an important factor...it's been a long week haha
it's starsan

I've had StarSan in a covered bucket for a few weeks (or more) without any issues. But, it's so bloody cheap to mix up a batch, that you might as well just dump it and make some fresh. Better to spend a small amount on mixing up some fresh sanitizer, than to risk not properly sanitizing your bottles, and such...

BTW, I do have a spray bottle of StarSan on hand at all times.. It's great to use when you want to hit the bottle tree before putting freshly sanitized bottles on it. Or you want to cover the outside of your autosiphon before using it... Plenty of uses for it that way...

FWIW I did that MWS raspberry wheat kit a few months ago and I used the whole bottle of raspberry extract, it was way too much IMO. Made for a strong, tart raspberry flavor in the beer. If I was to do it again I'd do about half the bottle.

Good luck

ah, well, then it'll be fine for along time. They say you can use it until it turns cloudy or the pH rises above 3 (I think- I never checked the pH). It turns cloudy right away in my hard water, but it's still good. I started mixing up only a gallon at a time, using distilled water and storing it in the jug the water comes in. It'll last indefinitely that way, and you don't need more than that for a typical brewday anyway. When I'm done, I pour it back into the jug and reuse it.
very smart, I may try to do something along those lines...i was considering siphoning the bucket into my carboy and plugging it, but I may as well just keep it in my bottling bucket for now, that way I won't have to siphon it back over.

I've had StarSan in a covered bucket for a few weeks (or more) without any issues. But, it's so bloody cheap to mix up a batch, that you might as well just dump it and make some fresh. Better to spend a small amount on mixing up some fresh sanitizer, than to risk not properly sanitizing your bottles, and such...

BTW, I do have a spray bottle of StarSan on hand at all times.. It's great to use when you want to hit the bottle tree before putting freshly sanitized bottles on it. Or you want to cover the outside of your autosiphon before using it... Plenty of uses for it that way...
this is also extremely true, was your cover a lid? or ghetto like mine?

FWIW I did that MWS raspberry wheat kit a few months ago and I used the whole bottle of raspberry extract, it was way too much IMO. Made for a strong, tart raspberry flavor in the beer. If I was to do it again I'd do about half the bottle.

Good luck
thanks for the info, I definitely want a strong raspberry flavor, but I don't want it to overpower at all

If you get the same SG reading from the bucket 3 days in a row then fermentation is complete, and you can bottle if you really want to.

I tend to bottle 3 weeks after I pitch the yeast (as is the standard here), as it gives time for fermentation to complete, the beer to clear some, and the beer to bulk condition for better flavors.

Some beers require more time, but 3 weeks is usually good for the average brew.

I try to "go ghetto" as little as possible these days... So I'm using a 5 gallon food grade (graduated) bucket with cover... I got it from a restaurant supply house, where it's sold for holding food items (raw veggies, meats, etc.) so I really don't worry about it. Plus, it wasn't that expensive, so if I need to replace is in a year, or a few, I won't feel bad.

I think that if you have the top of the bucket closed off/sealed well, you shouldn't need to worry. But, if a stiff wind will blow it off, you might as well dump it now and just make some fresh when the brew is actually ready for bottles.

I was brewing, at home, every couple of weeks, so I would have StarSan mixed up and on hand for when I needed it. Now that I'm brewing at a friends place, I don't mix it up unless I'm going to be using it (at home)... I do hope to be moving before too long, where I'll [once again] be able to brew on my own schedule.

BTW, just because fermentation is complete, doesn't mean it's ready for bottling. Taste the sample BEFORE you decide to bottle it up. I would also space the readings at least 2-3 days apart. You never know, readings on days 1-3 could be the same, but on day 4 or 5 you have a drop. IMO, it's better to give the brew plenty of time than try to rush it through... I wish I had done this on my first two batches. Thankfully, I learned before too many batches were brewed and in fermenters... I would also suggest getting more primaries, so that you can establish a good pipeline early...

my "lid" is a pair of saran wrap pieces...i'm not so worried about a stiff wind, since it's sitting in my room currently..i'll let it sit, and see what happens come next weekend (I also live in a house with 2 large dogs who shed like crazy, and 4 large cats who do the same, so the second I see hair in the bucket it's gone).
I'm still accruing equipment, and need to keep my system relatively small since I am still in college and only have so much space in my apartment

Brewing equipment is taking over my kitchen... It's also crept into my living room... I have a small 1 bedroom apartment (about 500 sq. ft.) so I need to do whatever I can to get the best use from the space.

I'm trying to get someone to help me pick up my new fridge that I ordered. This will let me have kegs on hand, as well as some bottles, without filling my food fridge. I'll also use the space above the new fridge for other brewing related gear. Perhaps my mash tun(s) will go on top... :D

BTW, with all those shedding animals, I do hope the StarSan bucket is out of reach of all of them... Could be difficult with cats... I'd also make sure the bottles are closed up tightly in boxes, that are also out of reach of the animals... Would suck to have a hair get into some of those, and you don't realize it until you're pouring the brew into a glass. :eek:

Once I graduate and get a place of my own...i can only imagine it will be similar. until then, i'm doing extract (maybe partial mash at some point, after I do a tad bit of research into the matter), and bottling (even though I REALLY want to start kegging...i know my university wouldn't be all too pleased with that though)

Back