1/2 gal of Deadguy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
bought a 1/2 gal of Dead Guy, delicious, now I want to brew a tiny batch in it with some spare ingredients.

pre boil .9 gal estimate
End Boil .4 gal
.4# DME 22L
1/4 # crystal 20L

efficency 60% estimate (using a rolling pin)
Can I even boil this small amount of water for an Hour?

.2 oz cascade for the hour boil

OG 1.058
FG 1.010 estimate

64 IBU

Suggestions for Yeast and how much?
I got the lamest name for it so if it is possible so let me know, cheers

so what're you going to call this bad boy?

Man, does that say .4lb of DME? I'm not doubting you but is that enough?? Also (like I said on the phone) I think you should look at the hop schedule as you would any other beer.....sure .2oz of cascade at 60min will give you 64 ibu's but it'll be all bitterness and no flavor. Since this is such a small amount I vote you back log it with hops.....don't add any until the 20min (or even 10min) mark. That'll get you your bitterness and much, much more flavor.

As for yeast.....you're basically making a yeast starter here so use something that you're planning on using soon. Or, I know the Liquid Town is now carrying S-05 dry yeast....something to think about.

Let me know how it goes and save me one! :mug:

EDIT: I know I *just* posted but I've been drinking :D......do you have any base malt around? What about stealing a pound or two of 2row from one of your kits.....or if you go out to the Liquid Town why not pick up a couple pounds of 2row there (you have to ask for it.....and yes they have a mill) Also....1/4lb of crystal is A LOT for .5 gal of beer IMO. Heres an idea....use recipator to make a normal 5gal recipe then resize it to .5gal. That way you'll see the %ages better.....

Correct....didn't you order a few kits and have them kickin' around your place? Just steal a couple lb of base malt from one and replace it later...

Didja do it? How'd it come out??

no your are confused, all I have is the crystal and the DME, decided to hold off because of financial reasons

Back