Peated Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barely

Reaction score
I'm still a bit new to brewing. In order to teach myself about the various specialty malts I have added a pound of specialty malt to a very basic extract recipe:

full 5 gallon boil

Fermentables:
6 lb light LME
1 lb specialty grain
1/2 lb crystal 60

Hops:
60 min 1 oz high AA ~12% pellet
20 min 1 oz Glacier AA~5% pellet
5 min 1 oz Glacier pellet

So far, It has yielded a very nice beer using malted rye, victory malt, whatever for the specialty grain. I've learned a lot about the flavors...The thing is I just got a pound of peated malt. I tasted it. Holy SMOKES! I'm thinking that if I want to try it in a drinkable beer, I will need to adjust the base recipe to a full pound Crystal for more backbone and cut back on the hops so as not to compete...and use only 1/4 lb peated malt.

So would the following give me a good representation of peated malt without making an undrinkable beer?

Fermentables:
6 lb light LME
1/4 lb peated malt
1lb crystal 60

Hops:
60 min 1/2 oz high AA ~ 12%
20 min 1/2 oz Glacier AA~5%

I agree with upping the crystal malts, because the sweetness will help balance the smokiness. I would add a bit of darker grain (chocolate malt, roasted barley, or black patent) to compliment the peated malt. Also, you could up the peated malt to 1/2 lb. When using a new ingredient, it never hurts to start small, but you should use enough to recognize the difference it makes. As far as the hops go, dark malts will reduce the percieved bitterness you get from hops, so there is no need to cut your hop schedule.

It sounds like you have a great strategy for learning how different grains will change your beer. Welcome to the forum, and I think you're going to love this hobby!

Have you used peated malt? A couple ounces - like, literally, two ounces - is noticable. A half pound and you're waiting two years for the beer to be drinkable (ask David_42 about his Old Bogwater).

Good point Bird...

I've never used real peated malt. I've smoked grains over wood chips, and assumed peated malt would be similar.

Barely -for this recipe, you should definitely listen to people who have specifically used peated malt.

I'll Second that 2 oz of peated malt , I have a nice heather ale ( brewed back in October '07 that I used 2 oz in , the nice peaty-smokey-whiskey flavor is there but not totally overpowering.

Jens

I am so glad I asked about this! I'll go with 2 oz. peated malt and a full pound crystal.

Thank-you all for helping me look after my beer. You rock :rockin:

Latest posts

Back