All Stainless Heatstick design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it depends on your configuration but as pictured above:

2" TC Pipe x 20" $38
2" 90 degree Elbow $14
(3) 2" Clamps $22.50
(3) 2" Silicone Gaskets $1.05
Pipe Holder $6 (optional)
Element Adapter $10
ULWD Element $17
Shipping $12
Total : $120.55
*Optional Element Guard Kit $36

Pretty expensive but I have VERY happy with it!

Hope this helps,
Robert
GypsyBrew

Forgive my ignorance but when building this I need 4 clamps not 3. I know the guard kit comes with one clamp but that just attaches the plate to the adapter still need a clamp to connect that to the pole and then the two clamps for the elbow and the adapter. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Think I got it figured out did you just use the end cap on the end of the 20" pole? No extra adapter needed...thanks again for any help.

heatstick 1.jpg

heatstick 2.jpg

Forgive my ignorance but when building this I need 4 clamps not 3. I know the guard kit comes with one clamp but that just attaches the plate to the adapter still need a clamp to connect that to the pole and then the two clamps for the elbow and the adapter. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Think I got it figured out did you just use the end cap on the end of the 20" pole? No extra adapter needed...thanks again for any help.

Yep correct, I only used the End Cap (from the EGK w/ strain relief & ground lug) on the end of the pipe... I originally bought the Element Guard Kit and their Element Adapter because I was still working on the design. Although I ended up only using the Element Adapter (see my post #5 & #12 pics), having both came in handy. You need to take in account how long the heat stick would be below the bend/90 where it would sit in the MLT/BK. This is why I just used the EA because of the diameter of my BK. The EGK comes with wire connectors, shrink wrap, ground lug, wire strain relief, and a drilled end-cap that has a slit cut in it so you can easily see if you had a leak without taking it apart, so I used this on the end of my heat stick instead. Folks might be able to request just the EGK end-cap & parts from StillDragon if wanted.

I had also noticed the nice element socket I bought to tighten the heating element into the Guard Kit housing (which I didn't end up using) wouldn't fit down inside it. So a cheapo (thin metal one) might work better.

Hope this helps,
Robert

Just to update, the build has continued to work great and I have been very happy with it! Only change made was the Strain Relief (came in the EGK). I replaced the original (cheapo quality) with a Arlington Industries 'LPCG50-1' (bought locally at a ACE hardware store). No issues with wire/cable size either. Much better.

I thought StillDragon had since changed the Stain Relief in their EGK but FoCobrewguy's picture above looks like original one I had. Maybe until they use up what they already had in stock?

Robert

Thanks for the quick response. I don't have space issues but will probably keep it like yours. I can use the kit in my other kettle so works out just fine. Great idea I've been putting off making my heatstick because of my concerns with the jb weld design. I would much rather drop a few more bones to have something that will last a lot longer like this will.

Thanks to the OP for sharing this design!

I really got inspired by it and decided to build one. Here's my version using a TC long elbow 90 I found on eBay and the rest of the TC components from StillDragon and a 5500w element.

I'm using a stainless U-clamp wrapped in tubing for the hanger.

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

That's a 2" TC to 3/4" NPT adapter.

I emailed SD to see if I could just get their end cap from the EGK but they only sell it as part of the kit. So, I found the adapter on eBay and plan to drill and tap a small hole to attach the ground wire and a small hole for leak testing. It's a bit bulky, but it was cheaper that buying the EGK just for the end cap.

I thought about just using a TC end cap but I don't think have the means to cut a ~1" hole through 1/4" thick SS to attach the strain relief.

Cheers,
Dan

Why'd you go with two 45's on top?

I ended up deciding that I am going to get ferrules welded to keggle, but I still kind of want to make heat sticks so my eKeggle can come together like Voltron.

Back