Kegging now, have question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernst-Haeckel

Reaction score
I am going to force carbonate. If I plan to force carb at ~20 psi for a couple days, does it matter if the beer is room temp during carbonation? I know if you are doing the "shaking" force carb method you want to chill the beer to 35-40 deg., but if I am going to let it sit on 20 psi gas for 2 days, can I just leave it out in room temp?

Thanks!

More CO2 will dissolve in the beer if the beer is cold during the carb process. If you carb at a warmer temp, less CO2 will dissolve into the beer. So then when you put the beer in your kegerator you would need to continue to force CO2 into the beer to reach proper carbonation.
-Jefe-

So I should cool the beer for a day before I hook up the CO2.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Just chill over night then set the PSI to 30lbs and then shake/rock the keg back and forth 200 times. I then let the pressure off to about 8lbs and let it sit another day (well not really- I start drinking it right away because I am impatient and just deal with the excessive head). This works everytime but I do notice that the beer settles out and is very nicely carbed a few days after I force carb. :fro:

You don't have to cool it first. Just stick it in there with the gas on.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Alright, beer is kegged (Saison du Buff clone, btw) and in the keezer, chilling down to 35. I'll put the gas on tomorrow and let it sit for a couple days.

I want to get it to ~3 to 3.5 vol. CO2. So, using the handy force-carb chart linked above, I'll set it at either 15 or 20 psi. 15 seems low to me considering most tutorials suggest psi's ~20-30, but this is my first time, so I'll trust the chart for now.

Thanks for the help everyone. Man, I gotta say that kegging was super slick! So much easier than bottling!

Back