mini fridge collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabejavitt

Reaction score
Hey,

I read on the forum already about people expanding their mini fridges because they were too small, so I decided to do that too. I got everything set up, but the door now won't stay closed all the way. Is the problem that I didn't use a magnetic strip, or do I have to make sure the fridge is slightly tilted? or maybe something else? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

gabe

Not sure a fridge is "mangetic". I think it's the seal quality. If the seal is tight, the contraciton of the air inside the fridge should hold the gasket to the frame and "suck" the door shut. At least that's been my experience with normal fridges. I don't have a mini fridge with collar.

If your door isn't quite square or the seal isn't tight, you may need to add a latch that will slightly compress the gasket, sealing it tighter.

I am planning on doing a mini fridge collar also. Wasn't sure about how the door would stay closed. But I figured that even a last resort mechanical or magnetic cabinet latch would be ok.

Mike

Most fridges have a magnetic door seal to pull against the frame and hold them shut. Cheaper and easier than installing a latch, and safer in the event a kid crawls in there.

Chest freezers don't have this AFAIK because they use gravity to hold their lids down.

You could install a clasp/latch between the door and the body of the fridge, or install a metal strip around the collar to give the magnet something to pull against.

Back