Victory Summer Love

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to correct a previous comment about "over-attenuation".... Turns out the FG tool for refractometers in Beersmith is not correct. My FG was actually 1.010 so a 150-152 mash was perfect.

There is a more accurate refractometer tool at seanterrill.com

Have you sampled this yet? I'm planning on brewing nearly the same thing this weekend.

The beer I brewed with the recipe shown in my original post came out great! I already need to brew a new batch. I took the keg to a small party where many were skeptical of homebrew, but they went back for more and more of this brew.

The beer tastes close to summer love based on my beer memory. I have a couple bottles of summer love in the fridge and have an official side by side comparison scheduled for monday, but bottom line is do not hesitate to brew this beer, it is good.

Does anyone think this years summer love is different from last years?

Yes I have, and I think it tastes a bit different, almost more of a bite. But personally I like it this year a lot! Also, my father and I got a bunch of different hops you guys suggested in this forum, so thanks! I'll let you know our recipe/game plan.

I've taken Brucedelta's AG recipe and come up with this extract and grains summer love clone. Please critique:

6.6 lbs Pilsen light LME
1.0 lbs Munich grains
1.0 lbs Vienna
.5 lbs. carapils
0.5 Chinook (had to sub for Simcoe LHBS was out of Simcoe) @ 90
0.5 Tettnang @ 10
0.5 Amarillo @ 5
0.5 Tettnang @ 0
Sad ale US-05
0.5 Tettnang dry hop
0.5 Amarillo dry hop
0.5 Chinook dry hop

Thoughts? Comments? Much appreciated. I'm set to brew tomorrow. Ill let everyone know how it comes out in 2 months.

strangr419 said:
I've taken Brucedelta's AG recipe and come up with this extract and grains summer love clone. Please critique:

6.6 lbs Pilsen light LME
1.0 lbs Munich grains
1.0 lbs Vienna
.5 lbs. carapils
0.5 Chinook (had to sub for Simcoe LHBS was out of Simcoe) @ 90
0.5 Tettnang @ 10
0.5 Amarillo @ 5
0.5 Tettnang @ 0
Sad ale US-05
0.5 Tettnang dry hop
0.5 Amarillo dry hop
0.5 Chinook dry hop

Thoughts? Comments? Much appreciated. I'm set to brew tomorrow. Ill let everyone know how it comes out in 2 months.

I'm pretty sure munich and Vienna need to be mashed. You'll get some color from steeping but no full conversion. They do make a munich extract.

Hopefully I'll get to brew my recipe up next weekend or some weeknight this coming week with my brother. It's a partial mash and this is where I wound up, hoping it tastes like Summer Love

Mash

2 lbs Vienna
1.5 lbs Pilsner

Boil

4 lbs Pilsner DME
60 minute .5 oz Simcoe
30 minute .5 oz Tettnang
10 minute .5 oz Tettnang

Gonna ferment it with the Kolsch yeast from East Coast Yeast if they have it in stock at love2brew. Comes out to the right ABV and close to the right IBUs.
HoppyHippo - how did it turn out? close to a clone?

At what point should I dry hop the clone recipe. I've heard anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 days before
Bottling. It is in primary now and active fermentation is done. I was going to leave it there for about three weeks. Just not sure when to add the rest of the hops. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

At what point should I dry hop the clone recipe. I've heard anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 days before
Bottling. It is in primary now and active fermentation is done. I was going to leave it there for about three weeks. Just not sure when to add the rest of the hops. Any suggestions?
Rack off of yeast, then dry hop. I'll probably be brewing this up in the next week or two. I'll dry hop in my keg, since I don't do a secondary.

Hey everyone hopeing to bring this back up, does anyone have a good receipe that is close?

Thanks

I'm with you.

I had a quick chat with hoppyhoppyhippo on his partial mash version and he said "It turned out well. It was probably less of a clone and more of an Homage. I recall the flavor wasn't quite on the nose, but it had similar notes and mouthfeel to it." I think I wrote up this recipe based on his method though it varies a bit. He used a Kolsch yeast from East Coast Yeast.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/663412

I am going out to buy supplies based on G-Star's most recent posts in this thread. I put that recipe here.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/681045/summer-love-cc3

I'm still fairly new to brewing so hopefully I did everything right. I will be brewing Monday and will report back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just sampled it from the carboy. Tasted dry and slightly watery mouthfeel. Will be dry hopping in a couple day and bottle in a week and a half after that. First taste may be in a month. Excited to see how the dry hopping helps it out.

Just sampled it from the carboy. Tasted dry and slightly watery mouthfeel. Will be dry hopping in a couple day and bottle in a week and a half after that. First taste may be in a month. Excited to see how the dry hopping helps it out.

Update and recipe used?

Update and recipe used?

Turned out great. As others have said, not an exact clone, but close enough to get you through the winter.

I did a side by side and noted that the victory version had a cleaner, more malty flavor while mine was has a little more in the hop forward direction. It was the first time I messed with water chemistry to try for a "Medium Sulfate" water (but really I was just winging it).

My favorite beer I have brewed and I will certainly be brewing it again.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/687531/summer-love-cc3

Turned out great. As others have said, not an exact clone, but close enough to get you through the winter.

I did a side by side and noted that the victory version had a cleaner, more malty flavor while mine was has a little more in the hop forward direction. It was the first time I messed with water chemistry to try for a "Medium Sulfate" water (but really I was just winging it).

My favorite beer I have brewed and I will certainly be brewing it again.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/687531/summer-love-cc3

Glad to hear turned out great!

I'm looking for a nice blonde, and Summer Love keeps popping up - figure why not try something similar

I've also been trying to create a mish-mosh of recipes - I have the following; thoughts are welcome:

(75 min boil / mash at 68c (155f)
83% Pilsner
4% munich
9% wheat
2% carapils

2.5 oz Saaz @75
2oz saaz @ 35
2.5oz Saaz @ 20
3oz Saaz @5
Wyeast 2278 or equivalent

OR

97% Pale Malt
2% Munich
1% Carapils

FWH Cascase
FWH EKG
EKG at 5min or FO

Glad to hear turned out great!

I'm looking for a nice blonde, and Summer Love keeps popping up - figure why not try something similar

I've also been trying to create a mish-mosh of recipes - I have the following; thoughts are welcome:

(75 min boil / mash at 68c (155f)
83% Pilsner
4% munich
9% wheat
2% carapils

2.5 oz Saaz @75
2oz saaz @ 35
2.5oz Saaz @ 20
3oz Saaz @5
Wyeast 2278 or equivalent

OR

97% Pale Malt
2% Munich
1% Carapils

FWH Cascase
FWH EKG
EKG at 5min or FO

Went with this:

Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) 82.3 %
Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) 10.3 %
Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) 4.0 %
Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM) 3.4 %
1.43 oz Tettnang @ 90.0 min
1.43 oz Perle @ 15.0 min
1.43 oz Tettnang @ 15.0 min
1.43 oz Hallertau @ 5.0 min
1.43 oz Saaz @ 5.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade @ FO
2.0 pkg US-05

Last edited:
Went with this:

Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) 82.3 %
Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) 10.3 %
Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) 4.0 %
Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM) 3.4 %
1.43 oz Tettnang @ 90.0 min
1.43 oz Perle @ 15.0 min
1.43 oz Tettnang @ 15.0 min
1.43 oz Hallertau @ 5.0 min
1.43 oz Saaz @ 5.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade @ FO
2.0 pkg US-05

How'd it turn out?

How'd it turn out?

Well...to answer in the most pithy way possible - like this:

I bottled a few and tasting one now, and its not bad - however I know what's coming *BOMBS*.

I'm trying again this weekend and this time i'm bittering with Perle and moving the Tettnang to 15. All else will stay the same.

7ri0U1xBTweXJKmuoRpT%Q.jpg

Well...to answer in the most pithy way possible - like this:

I bottled a few and tasting one now, and its not bad - however I know what's coming *BOMBS*.

I'm trying again this weekend and this time i'm bittering with Perle and moving the Tettnang to 15. All else will stay the same.

View attachment 609984

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Look forward to hearing about attempt two.

You plan on trashing that bucket?

That is seriously infected!

I know...I made 3 batches of 5 gallons each - I bottled the lesser of 3 evils. Its actually not bad - I'm having one now and its decent -I'll keep drinking them. Its only been a week since I bottled it and no bombs yet. I might be in the clear.

I think I would add more hops though, It doesn't quite have that ZAP I wish it had - it might be the infection though - we shall see

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Look forward to hearing about attempt two.

You plan on trashing that bucket?
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm getting my starter ready soon, and mostly likely mill the grains today - to brew first thing in the morning.

Nah, I'm just going to give it a good scrubbing, starsan the hell out of it with a clean sponge this time

You'd trash it?

I know...I made 3 batches of 5 gallons each - I bottled the lesser of 3 evils. Its actually not bad - I'm having one now and its decent -I'll keep drinking them. Its only been a week since I bottled it and no bombs yet. I might be in the clear.

I think I would add more hops though, It doesn't quite have that ZAP I wish it had - it might be the infection though - we shall see
3 batches and all were infected? Whoa!

You need to find out where it comes from, that can't be coincidence. Also do some serious cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitizing everything that touches your chilled wort and beer. Something in your cleaning and sanitation regimen is being missed. Look into your cleaning sanitation process!

Victory makes Sour Monkey, a kettle sour version of their Golden Monkey. Intentional infections can yield very good beers. Accidental ones are a crapshoot, but can be very tasty if the bugs work in your favor.
Nah, I'm just going to give it a good scrubbing, starsan the hell out of it with a clean sponge this time
Sponges are sophisticated bug traps!
I use small cotton washcloths for mopping Starsan around. It creates a good foam. The cloths remain in the bucket with Starsan between uses. They get an occasional boil too.

Pay special attention to the lid, its groove and the airlock hole and grommet.

3 batches and all were infected? Whoa!

You need to find out where it comes from, that can't be coincidence. Also do some serious cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitizing everything that touches your chilled wort and beer. Something in your cleaning and sanitation regimen is being missed. Look into your cleaning sanitation process!

Victory makes Sour Monkey, a kettle sour version of their Golden Monkey. Intentional infections can yield very good beers. Accidental ones are a crapshoot, but can be very tasty if the bugs work in your favor.

Sponges are sophisticated bug traps!
I use small cotton washcloths for mopping Starsan around. It creates a good foam. The cloths remain in the bucket with Starsan between uses. They get an occasional boil too.

Pay special attention to the lid, its groove and the airlock hole and grommet.

Yea..sucks. I'm meticulous with my cleaning/sanitizing; this hasn't happened in a while. The only thing I can think of is the sponge I used to wipe down the side/rim of the buckets; as I used the same sponge for all 3 buckets - its the common factor.

It was also recommended that it might be my fermentation chamber, so i'll wipe that down with some bleach or betadine solution later today.

The beer I bottled was the batch that I made into a raspberry blonde - and its actually pretty good - its a bit sour/tart and not sweet - i'm rather enjoying it; its like sour raspberry blonde - i'm ok with that.

It may help to use Iodophor (or IO Star) once in a while to sanitize. It kills bugs Starsan can't.

A (dirty) sponge from the sink surely can cause havoc. It took me a few years to convince the wife. She still sneaks one in from time to time...

The paradigm is you can't sanitize something that isn't clean already. You can't sanitize dirt, for example.
So clean first, then sanitize right before use.

We have a beautiful thread loaded with pictures of pellicles. Please post that picture there, with a short description of the beer you made and how the infection (possibly) happened:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/post-your-infection.71400/page-95
I like the way your pellicle seems to be climbing up the side of the bucket...

The beer I bottled was the batch that I made into a raspberry blonde - and its actually pretty good - its a bit sour/tart and not sweet - i'm rather enjoying it; its like sour raspberry blonde - i'm ok with that.
Yes, they can add something interesting. It may be a simple lacto infestation or some wild yeast riding on the fruit, that does just the right thing.

Yes, they can add something interesting. It may be a simple lacto infestation or some wild yeast riding on the fruit, that does just the right thing.

Update: Kegged the new version couple days ago, its sitting now carbing up. I'm going to keg one more batch, and bottle another, in the background of the picture.

I think it was a good choice to bitter with Perle, it gives it the right amount of "zap"

This is one smooth, soft and delicate beer with a really nice crisp finish that lingers on the palette. At first I thought it bordered on bland, and thought - oh well, next time- however the more it carbs, the more it shines. Definitely a summer session, "lawnmower" beer. I'm on my third now as I'm brewing an IPA, and would most definitely brew again.

If there were any changes to be made, it would be to throw some Citra or Simcoe at flameout - I can see how they may compliment the beer

This will be a main stay in my rotation moving forward

fullsizeoutput_4903.jpeg

Last edited:
At first I thought it bordered on bland, and thought - oh well, next time- however the more it carbs, the more it shines.

I thought the same when I bottled my batch. Glad it turned out well for you!

I haven't had much time to brew lately so I'm goibg to try to do a quick extract version of the recipe. I'll post the recipe if I get around to making it.

Last edited:
I thought the same when I bottled my batch. Glad it turned out well for you!

I haven't had much time to brew lately so I'm goibg to try to do a quick extract version of the recipe. I'll post the recipe if I get around to making it.

I'm super happy with the results - cant wait till a month from now to try the ones I bottled.
I'd be keen to see your recipe

Alright, so i haven't gotten around to brewing this recipe again yet (and I just use dthe yeast intended for it). But, has anyone had this years batch? I just got a case in cans and I find that it taste a bit more like a Pilsner than I recall. Would be interested in hearing the opinions of others.

Also! They printed the Malt and Hops right on the can this year. Pilsner, Carapils, Simcoe and Tettnang. Super simple.

Finally, along with some redesign of their packaging, they have labeled it as a Golden Ale. Traditionally they just labeled it an Ale while beer advocate called it an American Blonde Ale.

Edit: Just checked BJCP 2015 and under 12a, it said "Golden Ales are also called Golden Bitters, Summer Ales, or British Blonde Ales" so it seems to be a minor semantic change.

Last edited:
If there were any changes to be made, it would be to throw some Citra or Simcoe at flameout - I can see how they may compliment the beer

Update: a year and some change later, brewed this again yesterday with some small changes. Moved 15min additions to 10min, added some triple perle to sub for some perle - plus simcoe at FO; Plan is to make a split batch with raspberry

This was a great beer last time so cheers to the new batch

80Liters (20g)
Pilsner - 82.3 %
Vienna Malt - 10.3 %
Carafoam - 4.0 %
Carahell - 3.4 %
1.64 oz Tettnang @ 90 min
1 oz Perle @ 10 min
.5 oz triple perle @ 10min
1.64 oz Tettnang @ 10 min
1.64 oz Hallertau @ 5.0 min
1.64 oz Saaz @ 5.0 min
1.14 oz Cascade @ FO
1.14 oz Simcoe@ FO
4L starter - American West Coast Ale (Lallemand/Danstar)

Back