Counterflow Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The primary disadvantage is the exterior hose which appears to be a hot water hose is not rated for boiling temps so recirculating boiling wort to sanitize would be operating outside of the design parameters. That said, people use them in that way with no apparent problems.

Other than that the convoluted models from B3 and Northern Brewer will be a bit more efficient and have a smaller footprint.

I used to use something like that. I would suggest securing the coils together (ziptie maybe) and using a bag for your hops. The wort line is a thin one and brewers tend to feed it by gravity. A clogged line would be a terrible way to end a perfectly good brew day.

Actually it uses 3/8". Better than a 1/4" but I would still use a bag. I had a glogged line once and it sucked.

I would love to know if anyone has used this model before and had any issues with it or any other model with a hose and the cooling surround.

The description says high temperature hose, so it's probably better than my garden hose model that I built and have used to years with no problems. But I don't run boiling wort through it since I don't have a pump yet.

Back