Heastick problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdogskip

Reaction score
So, I have been brewing with my stovetop and a heatstick for a while now and have had very positive results. While attempting to heat strike water for an ESB today, I plugged it in and noticed a louder noise than normal. It was the usual "hiss" sound but louder. My GFCI didn't trip and I unplugged it because it sounded weird.

Has anyone experienced this with a heatstick? Maybe it's time to build another...

If your GFCI didn't trip, you should be OK.

Make sure the "test" button on your GFCI is working.

I just fried a GFCI and had to replace it. It would trip randomly, was making a loud humming, and finally just locked up.

Thanks for the responses guys, I just did a lamp test to see if the circuit was actually tripping and it does work. Does anyone else notice a weird sound coming from their heatsticks?

Thanks for the responses guys, I just did a lamp test to see if the circuit was actually tripping and it does work. Does anyone else notice a weird sound coming from their heatsticks?

They do hiss from the rapid heating of the water.

Here is an idea: Could the louder sound be due to colder starting water? Is is pretty cold out in a lot of the country at the moment.

Back