What to do with 2lbs of Blackberries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emissary

Reaction score
Cleaning out the freezer last night, and I ran across a leftover bag of 2lbs (give or take) of frozen blackberries that I harvested this fall and forgot about. I've had all the pie/cake/cobbler a guy can stand, and want to do something fun with these. But what?

I've never brewed with fruit before, and am on an extremely tight budget, so I thought I would see what everyone here thought. I'm open to anything. Beer, wine, mead, whatever. So long as it's cheeeaaappp, interesting, and tasty.

I have equipment to do extract, partial, or all grain, and can convert most of what is needed to do wines/meads/etc. So throw me a bone here, guys, and inspire me to do something unique.

Thanks!

I like the stout idea, or you could go with a nice Blackberry wheat. Maybe 4.5 lbs 2 row, 3.5 lbs wheat, 6 oz crystal 20, single addition of an oz of lower AA (around 5.5%) hop of your choice for 60 min and US-05 yeast. Toss the blackberries in after initial fermentation is done. (that recipe was just thrown together off the top of my head without running any of the numbers......no clue how it would come out, but I bet it would be good)

Not enough to do a wine or a mead unless you did a very small batch, so I'd go with a wheat if it were me. Assuming I didn't just throw them on some vanilla ice cream. :D

put in blender, mix with cheap vodka, strain into expensive chambourd bottle.

Haaaaahahahahahaha..... No more pies and such for me. I have to choose less beer or less food, so I'm developing a beer-only diet.:D:drunk: It looks like the consensus is on a wheat. Actually never done a wheat, but love the variety of wit's, so I guess I'll do some research. I love me a good stout or porter, but I like the dark, roasty, nutty, wholesome goodness of them, and would think that all that wonderful darkness would overpower the blackberries, and I wouldn't get much effect out of them. Now, where to find a good Blackberry Wheat recipe.....

Back