Cleaning your counterflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After my last thread, I think I'll be ok with gravity, but I'm now concerned about having to clean and sanitize my counterflow chiller.

I don't have any air/co2 system, so I can't push air through it...How do I make sure that all the wort is out of it and it's clean and sanitary for the next use?

I don't have a CFC, but I think you could probably run a couple gallons of boiling hot water through it after you use it to clean it out.

Before you use it the next time, run some sanitizer through it.

-walker

jezter6 said:
After my last thread, I think I'll be ok with gravity, but I'm now concerned about having to clean and sanitize my counterflow chiller.

I don't have any air/co2 system, so I can't push air through it...How do I make sure that all the wort is out of it and it's clean and sanitary for the next use?

Walker-san said:
I don't have a CFC, but I think you could probably run a couple gallons of boiling hot water through it after you use it to clean it out.

Before you use it the next time, run some sanitizer through it.

-walker

Yup, you can also plug the ends and store it with Iodophore in it. Star-san and I believe chlorine-based sanitizers will damage the copper if stored inside.

Back