My take on the simple stir plate build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azscoob

Brewpub coming soon!
Reaction score
I could not source an old dead hard drive to get the magnets from, and after looking over the stirstarter web page I built my own based on his design using one of those magnetic name tag things. The power transformer is the plug from an old computer router that died ages ago. I used a 5k ohm pot I had sitting aroud and and an old switch from my toolbox stash to operate the computer fan. I used a 3/4" pvc coupler that I cut down a little using a hand saw and my miter box to space the magnets up to the lid of a radio shack project box. The magnet bar and coupler are glued in place with 5 minute epoxy, it gave me enough time before it set to make minor adjustments to center it on the fan and to center the magnets on the coupler as well. this project took me about 30 minutes start to finish using simple hand tools and its working perfectly!

Here are the guts of my build ready to go..
DSCF1860.jpg

Here is the nametag magnet thing I used instead of a hard drive magnet..
DSCF1869.jpg

I used a Nitrous arming switch I had sitting around to turn it on and off...
DSCF1865.jpg

Armed and ready...
DSCF1866.jpg

Works perfectly!!!
DSCF1872.jpg

Where did you get the magnet from? A name tag? Not sure what you are referring to. Seems like a nice build and good stir starter.

yes, the magnets are from a name tag. the tag has a metal plate on the back of it. the magnets are in a plastic holder, you put the tag on your shirt and put the magnet thing inside the shirt to keep it in place. the car salesmen all get them to wear on the lot where I work. when they get fired they usually leave them behind, I snag them to hold repair orders to my toolbox so they dont blow away ect..... they look like these here

Back