Wyeast 2112 : Cali Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phasedweasel

Reaction score
I was wondering from people who have experience working with this yeast how it performs at different temperatures. Specifically, I'd like to know at what temperatures it begins to be fruity, and where the dividing line is. Thanks!

I have used this yeast quite a bit. However my temp ranges have been pretty small. I mainly ferment between 60 and 68. I have not seen much of a difference in that range. My gut says you are going to see a different profile at a higher temp. However I do not have any experience at higher temps.

This is a pretty standard yeast for me and has performed well over at least 80 gallons of california common.

What temps are you looking to ferment this at?

My first experience with 2112 blew my mind when I was 18 years old. 2112 then led me to Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, and later, Moving Pictures. Oh! You mean the yeast strain, NOT the 1976 album by Rush... Wow, I bet no one has ever made this ridiculous joke before...

Anyway, in all seriousness, my two experiences with this yeast have been in the 58-60 temperature range, in which I found it to be very clean. To my taste buds, it is comparable to US-05 or Nottingham at the same temperatures.

I have had great results with 2112 (aka the "Rush yeast") when making Cali Common/Steam Beer. I ferment in the basement at around 64'. Never had it turn fruity but I have always kept it in the mid-low 60's so don't know what the results would be in the upper 60's range. Montanaandy

I asked because I'm actually interested in a little fruit. I was thinking of playing around with a slightly sweeter / malty amber beer in small batches, to add a bit of yeast fruitiness and see how it came out. I was thinking trying 2112 near the top of its temperature range. I'm not making a Belgian, I don't want a whole fruit-bowl in there, but I thought I would have some fun in my 2.5 gallon bottle.

My first experience with 2112 blew my mind when I was 18 years old. 2112 then led me to Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, and later, Moving Pictures. Oh! You mean the yeast strain, NOT the 1976 album by Rush... Wow, I bet no one has ever made this ridiculous joke before...

Awesome. Rush is my favorite. :off:

I say try it at higher than 68. I have not noticed any fruit flavors coming out and that is as high as I have had it. Maybe 70 to 72? That's a guess though. Try it out and let us know what you find.

I have had great results with 2112 (aka the "Rush yeast") when making Cali Common/Steam Beer. I ferment in the basement at around 64'. Never had it turn fruity but I have always kept it in the mid-low 60's so don't know what the results would be in the upper 60's range. Montanaandy

So your basement is at 64 or you shot for 64 as the temperature of the fermenting wort? I have my basement thermostat set for 65 right now and was thinking of leaving it at that. I have a separate zone below the garage I can set for colder temperatures if need be.

Awesome. Rush is my favorite. :off:

Ditto. Seen 'em at least a dozen times.

My basement ambient temp is generally at a constant 64' during the winter and about 30% humidity. Montanaandy

Back