Full Boil Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing an Imperial IPA this week and have a full boil question. Is there any difference in filling up your kettle to 6 gal of water in anticipation of 1 gal being lost through boiling vs. using only 5 gal. to start with. I would then add water during the boil to keep my wort at 5 gal. This recipe is going to max out my 7.5 gal. kettle so I am looking for any other tricks so that I can still do a "full boil". Of course maybe I am just waaaaaay overthinking this.:D Thanks!!

I don't see why the add-a-bit-at-a-time would not work. I think it's kind of a clever way to use a barely big enough pot.

Fermentation control drop should work too and you could fill you pot all the way.

I don't see why the add-a-bit-at-a-time would not work. I think it's kind of a clever way to use a barely big enough pot.

Fermentation control drop should work too and you could fill you pot all the way.

What she said!

+1 to that being a rather creative solution. Well done. :mug:
+1 to some Fermcap-S to prevent boilover. With that, you could fill almost to the brim.

Plus another one that admires your ingenuity! It will take a little more monitoring, but it's a sound idea. I'm assuming you are topping up with already boiling water.

You may have just started a new trend for partial boils. Well one! :D

Instead of adding more water, I just save an extra gallon or so of my final runnings for this exact purpose.

Back