Baby food jars - Washed Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
So I have a few batches of washed yeast in mason jars that has pretty much filled up my beer fridge. Any reason why I couldn't sanitize some baby food jars, pour off some of the excess liquid in the mason jars, and put the yeast slurry into the baby food jars? I don't realy see any reason not too.

Mason Jars are getting expensive, and take up a lot of space. I'm not ready to go to the frozen yeast bank method yet. As my freezer is more full then my fridges.

I used BF jars for about a year or so. They worked well except for the fact that the lids kept "locking" onto the jars.

Once I used pliers to try to unscrew the lid and actually crushed the jar (under the lid) and pushed the glass into my hand...so be careful.

I also tried test tubes with rubber stoppers and was greatly disappointed. IMO if you get some with screw on lids you'd be better off.

Now I just reuse the vials. ;)

Back