how many kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot29er

Reaction score
How many brew kits did you brew before you brewed your own recipe? And how did your first recipe turn out?

It seems to me that I did alot of kits before venturing out on my own. I think I started with quite a few different kits, then found some recipes (here and other places- we didn't have a recipe database then) that I tried, and then I got Beersmith and starting making my own. I'd have to say I'm a slow learner- I'd guess I did at least 10-15 kits, before moving onto trying different recipes. My first non-kit beer was god-awful. It was from a recipe posted here that others seem to like, but it was terrible. That's what made me start learning more about ingredients. It was a slow process, in my case!

I finally got Designing Great Beers, which is a great resource for recipe design.

I did one kit, it s still in secondary. I just ordered a recipe I have been working on for a week or so, hope it turns out good.

I'm on my 7th batch with the Coopers Kit's....So far things are going good but I feel I could make better beer with extract kits.

The problem is I'm renting a room at my friends house, he is all about it 'being his house, his rules' and he loves to complain about smells so boiling a wort inside is out of the question.

Once spring comes around I'm getting a hotplate and doing it all outside, I can't wait!

I did three Coopers kits then I went right into Extract with steeping grains. Did two of those and then went to All Grain.

I don't just stick my toe in to see what the water is like I jump right in. After one Brewers Best Kit Batch, I got beersmith and made my own recipe, and it turned out pretty damn good. I hope this continues, I see all grain in the not so distant future.

Activating the way back machine... to 1988.

First kit was a canned pale ale.
It turned out ok... but not spectacular.

I brewed 2 or three extract or PM batches a year until 2008 when I finally went AG. I still use kits now and then. But mostly my own recipes.
Usually family or friends will buy me a kit for me to brew for them :)
I'll get an email or phone call saying a package is coming, and then I brew whatever shows up. Last year, I did a Belgian tripel from a kit that was incredibly good, as well as a really inexpensive stout that made Guinness taste like bilge water. Both were extract kits from online vendors.

I also do one wine a year and in 2005 started playing with honey and making mead.

My point is this.
AG is fun and educational. You will get great beer with practice and patience.
But there is nothing wrong with extract brewing.
You made it with your own hands, and that is all that matters.

brew what you like to drink and share.

I have made 5 batches out of mini mash kits. But i have been looking at trying my hand at my do it myself type next. All of mine have turned out really well.

I ordered an ingredient kit with my equipment kit. From then on I have been formulating recipes. The first few were extract, and then I went to AG. I really like Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels and of course here for coming up with my own recipes. Brewing Classic Styles is also good for ideas.

The problem is I'm renting a room at my friends house, he is all about it 'being his house, his rules' and he loves to complain about smells so boiling a wort inside is out of the question.

Set his bed on fire and see if that adjusts his attitude any. Him being in it at the time is optional, depending on how much of a statement you want to make.

Back on topic... I've made 2 kits and have my next dozen or so brews planned and they're all recipes I found on here (does that count as a kit?) and I'm working on designing my own recipe now.

My first brew was from a recipe I created... an all-grain, step-mashed lager. But I like life on the edge. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't brew it again.

I did 2 kits I ordered online, then bought one of the Clone brew books and moved to Partial Mash. Once I realized how easy PM was and that it was very close to AG, I did 2 PM recipes and then went to AG.

My first 6 were all kits. Then I moved into a new apartment with an electric stove and took like 6 months off from brewing. When I decided to make my triumphant return, I went big with a Double IPA. Rye, oaked, dry hopped, all new techniques I had not tried before. I got the recipe out of BYO if I remember correctly. I was actually pretty impressed with how it turned out. I started cranking out the batches after that. Haven't stopped since other then for lack of funds. It's always a great feeling to think you put the peices together and created something to call your own!

Back