Leftover Hops - What To Do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30639

Reaction score
I've got some left over hops from the kits I've bought and I'm trying to figure out what would be a good beer to make with them. I'm new at this whole homebrewing thing and haven't made my own recipe before.

I'd like to make a Blonde Ale for the summer here in Texas, and summer really starts in about 6 weeks. My goal is to make something light and fresh, but with more flavor than a BMC product. Something I can drink while I'm grilling in 90 degree weather or when I'm done mowing the lawn.

Anyway, here's the hops I have left.

1/2 oz Chinook
1/4 oz Ahtanum
3/4 oz Saaz
1/2 oz Mt. Hood

I've been doing some reading on the hop charts on BYO and in the books I have, but I thought I'd ask here too. Would any combo of these be good in a blonde?

4.5% on the Ahtanum and 5.8% on the Saaz.

I tossed the packages for the Chinook and Mt. Hood without writing the alpha acid down. Rookie mistake on my part.

Record all weights and the AA info and mix them together for about 6 months.

Give them all a once over mix (or crush them into powder if pellets) and blend them into an ale of unknown (relatively) origin..."Ale of Unknown Origin" or to quote Joe Walsh on an untitled album he put out many many moons ago..."you bought it you name it"...

You can make a fine Blonde Ale with those. Use this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/jamils-blonde-ale-35824/ but instead of using the 1 oz. of fuggles, use your 3/4 oz. of saaz at 60 minutes. That will make a great beer. If you wanted a very light hoppiness, you could throw in a quarter to half oz. of your mt. hood at flameout. Perfect summertime beer.

That is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you :mug:

Back