Looking to use Azacca Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redlantern

Reaction score
Just had the Founders Azacca IPA recently. I believe it to be a single hop IPA.

I definitely want to use that hop in my own IPA, but probably not as a single hop.

Not sure where to go with the grain bill

Stick with two-row and crystal?

For a 5.5 gal batch, was thinking something like 10 lb MO, .75 lb munich, .75 lb 40L.

Hops was thinking bitter with .75 oz Chinook, another .5 oz at 20 then combination of Cascade/Azacca at end of boil, flame-out, and 5 day dry hop.

Thoughts?

Sounds good, though personally I would just go with all Azacca at the end and dry hop, let that mango, tropical fruit aroma fly! I made an Azzaca pale ale using 4 ounces of Azzaca that I got free from AHA in a pale ale I created and it was amazing. Actually took 3rd in a comp that had 45 entries in the category.

Used almost 100% base malts...5lbs Pils, 4 lbs 2 row, 2 lbs Munich II and just 3 oz of crystal 120 to up the color slightly.

For the hops used .75 Citra First Wort 90 minutes, then 2 oz Azacca for 20 min knockout steep and 2 oz Azacca for dry hopping for a week. That gave me a 1.056 OG and 55 IBU's and a very flavorful beer!

Thanks for the idea!

Have yet to use pilsner malt but I am noticing that lots of folks are. Will give at a go. I was also thinking about Munich malt for these hops as well. Have a feeling you have hit on something yummy

Back