FermCap and Braun Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlowingApple

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few years now, but made a rookie mistake with my latest brew. I brewed an amber ale, and tasting (after fermentation had died down) it was delicious! A little yeasty, but otherwise a really good amber ale. I removed the carboy from my temp controlled fridge and let it warm up to 75 ˚F to clean-up/clear. I'm not sure why, but for some reason I decided to swirl the carboy and stirred all the braun hefe back into the beer. Took a second taste after a few days and a bitter/astringent flavor had developed. I assume it was because of the braun hefe?

Well, it's easy to avoid that in the future, but it got me thinking, if FermCap stops the kraussen from foaming up into the headspace of the fermentor, does less of the braun hefe stick to the walls of the fermentor? Which would mean that more remains in the beer, adding bitterness/astringency?

Back