What off taste should I expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My last batch I brewed while i was cooling the wort down after the boil I stirred fairly heavy. There was a little bit of splashing but mostly I had a nice whirlpool going. I didn't know that this was not good. I have purchased a immersion chiller so this will not happen again. I am just curious to what off flavors to expect from adding oxygen during the cool down.

Pre-pitching of yeast you want to aerate your wort so stirring & splashing should not be a problem.

The yeast need oxygen to multiply, you should always aerate/oxygenate your wort after cooling and prior to pitching yeast.

Once I get the wort in my carboy I give it a good shake. But I was reading that before the wort is room temperature that oxygen was bad for the beer.

Once I get the wort in my carboy I give it a good shake. But I was reading that before the wort is room temperature that oxygen was bad for the beer.

It is doubtful that the stirring you are describing resulted in any substantial oxygen pickup that would negatively impact the final beer. HSA exists, but it's not generally something most homebrewers have to worry about. If you shoved an oxygen stone into your hot wort and started blasting it with O2, maybe then you would have a concern.

Don't worry. You're good to go.

When you're using an immersion chiller, stirring is essential to help get the temps down quickly. I stir mine pretty firmly to keep it moving around the coils, but not quite hard enough to whip up foam. After it's cooled, I remove the chiller, whirlpool and let it sit covered 10-15 minutes to let the gunk settle in the bottom before cracking the valve.

Back