Converting an Recipe to drop the Munton's Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcadieux

Reaction score
I have a friend who regularly brews the below and it turns out very, very nicely. We're both curious though if we could replace the Munton's IPA can and do this purely from DME? Not sure where to start looking.

1 can of IPA extract (Munton IPA)
1.3Kg of light LME
400g Dextrose
4oz Cascade hop pellets

The hop schedule:
2 oz - 15 min
2 oz dry-hopping after fermentation

So I lightly boiled water and added the dextrose to be dissolved. Then added the LME for a 60 minute boil. 15 minutes before the end I added 2 oz of Cascade hops.

The biggest hurdle to overcome is what malts & hops were used in the Munton's can. And I seriouslt doubt that they'll give that up. So you'll have to taste it to see if you can pick out what's in it. Then you can try to clone the flavors from the can to add to the total recipe. Like what all hops are in it & what flavor/bittering qualities does it have.

Are you looking to get an IPA recipe? Your recipe has Cascade. This recipe uses Cascade, Centennial (a strong Cascade) and Chinook (strong citrus)
This one is a favourite of my friends.

23 Litres (boil of 5.7 litres)
3.2 KG pale LME, 1 KG wheat DME
STEEP - 100mg Crystal 10L, 100mg Cara-pils, 200mg Crystal 45L
Bittering hops: 45g Chinook, 15g Cascade, 45g Centennial at 60 mins
Late bittering hops: 30g Cascade at 10 mins
DRY HOP: 15g Chinook, 15g Cascade, 15g Centennial for 7 days in secondary

Directions:
Steep the grains for 30 mins in 5.7 of water at 66 celcius (hot tap water on stove LOW setting). Remove grains with strainer.
Add LME and DME, turn up stove to med-high. When it's a rolling boil add bittering hops. Boil 50 mins, stirring often, then add late bittering hops, boil 10 more mins. Then fish out your hops, cool the wort with cold water in primary. Top it up to 23L. Add dry hops when you transfer to secondary.

The biggest hurdle to overcome is what malts & hops were used in the Munton's can. And I seriouslt doubt that they'll give that up. So you'll have to taste it to see if you can pick out what's in it. Then you can try to clone the flavors from the can to add to the total recipe. Like what all hops are in it & what flavor/bittering qualities does it have.

Oh, I just assumed there was some kind of math regarding converting their extract into a dame recipe. I totally neglected the fact that this is a pee-hopped can.
Duh, thx

Are you looking to get an IPA recipe? Your recipe has Cascade. This recipe uses Cascade, Centennial (a strong Cascade) and Chinook (strong citrus)
This one is a favourite of my friends.

23 Litres (boil of 5.7 litres)
3.2 KG pale LME, 1 KG wheat DME
STEEP - 100mg Crystal 10L, 100mg Cara-pils, 200mg Crystal 45L
Bittering hops: 45g Chinook, 15g Cascade, 45g Centennial at 60 mins
Late bittering hops: 30g Cascade at 10 mins
DRY HOP: 15g Chinook, 15g Cascade, 15g Centennial for 7 days in secondary

Directions:
Steep the grains for 30 mins in 5.7 of water at 66 celcius (hot tap water on stove LOW setting). Remove grains with strainer.
Add LME and DME, turn up stove to med-high. When it's a rolling boil add bittering hops. Boil 50 mins, stirring often, then add late bittering hops, boil 10 more mins. Then fish out your hops, cool the wort with cold water in primary. Top it up to 23L. Add dry hops when you transfer to secondary.

Thx for the recipe. I've never bought any grains before, I don't suppose most LHBS sell grains in such minute qty?

Thx for the recipe. I've never bought any grains before, I don't suppose most LHBS sell grains in such minute qty?

What passes for a brewing supply store in my town only sells the specialty grains in 1 pound packages. Not a problem unless you only intend to brew one batch as the whole grains store very nicely at room temperature as long as they are kept dry. Lots of recipes use the same grains listed so you can use them up in a subsequent batch. :mug:

Back