fridge seals/gaskets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncobum

Reaction score
Has anyone diy'ed a seal/gasket for fridge doors? My house came with an old whirlpool fridge with dual doors to the fridge section and a single door to the freezer below. The seals are beat, but because it is free and I can fit at least 3 carboys/buckets without mods (4 with mods) i think it is worth using. The problem is the replacement seals for one of the 2 fridge doors is ~ $140. So for the price of 2 seals, I could pretty much buy something better. But, because this is already in my basement and I know it works I am open to suggestions. What has everyone else done with their old fridges?
It is setup like this, only the freezer is a door, not a drawer, and it is much older (no drinking water setup, lovely avocado green)
Samsung%20%20RF267ABWP%2026%20cu.%20ft.%20French-Door%20Refrigerator%20-%20White%20Pearl.jpg

Just to fill in the blanks, I am going to be using an ebay aquarium controller to run the fridge and a heat source to control fermentation temps.

I just replaced the seals on my kegerator. I got them at my CarQuest autoparts store. They have 3m adhesive backed door molding that worked out great. I think it was $15-$20 for a 10ft roll. If you have tall doors you might need 2 rolls. You could also go to a junkyard and try to get some off a large van door and glue it on.

I was looking at making a custom top for my Keezer and instead of on top of the original top. I'm concerned with weight of the top as I'm looking at making mine hinge on the side (or split it and hinge on both sides). There are several places you can find the original magnetic style gasket. I would recommend that for keeping your doors closed.

http://www.etundra.com/Magnetic_Gasket_Rolls-C3352.html

I am in the same boat got a great fridge from work for free and cant find replacement gaskets for this model only able to buy a whole new door for 90. so there is no way in hell I am paying that to fix the gasket. My thoughts where to get some weather striping and getting some self adhesive flexible magnetic stripping. do people think this will work?

Glad to be of service. My old gasket was compressed unevenly allowing air in and causing moisture problems. The new one works perfect.

Back