Chloramine in water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
I've have a problem with a harsh flavor in my beer. I've been lwaning more and more towards the water being the source of the problem. I've been unable to find a good water report form the water company but i did find out that they use Chloramine in their water.

I have a brita filter on my faucet that I use but I think it might not be taking out the Chloramine.

Anyone have any thoughts on this???

I've have a problem with a harsh flavor in my beer. I've been lwaning more and more towards the water being the source of the problem. I've been unable to find a good water report form the water company but i did find out that they use Chloramine in their water.

I have a brita filter on my faucet that I use but I think it might not be taking out the Chloramine.

Anyone have any thoughts on this???

Buy you a AQUASANA water filter removes chloramines.

The simplest solution to removing chloramine is treating with campden tablets. 1 is enough to treat 20 gallons, but isn't necessarily an "overdose" for smaller amounts. I crush a tablet and treat the mash and sparge water while its heating.

+1 = campden tablets. If chloramines are the source of your harsh flavors (which is quite possible based on my own experience with chloramine water), campden tablets will cure this problem.

I know that flavor quite well and it's not good. I use a water filter and campden tablets to treat the water here in Omaha.

You can use some aquarium tap water conditioner which removes chlorine, chloramines, and other metals. I use API brand...in my 65 gallon. I never actually drank tap water treated with the stuff and am not sure if it's safe...but why not?

A little $5 bottle of the stuff will last an eternity when brewing 5 gallons at a time.

I'd avoid the API aquarium stuff; it not only removes chlorine but also tries to stabilize the pH at 7.5. That's going to mess with your attempts to get your brewing water into the appropriate 5.2ish pH range.

Campden tablets work perfectly. You use half of one in each 5 gallon batch, and it's $3 for 100 tablets; that works out to a cent and a half for each batch of beer.

aquarium products may also contain 'stress coats' and other unwanted things.

I split one campden tablet between two 5 gallon PET jugs (crushed up tablets) usually prepared the night before brew day. it only takes a couple minutes to neutralize the chloramine though.

When should campdem tablets be used? During boil? Before boil? Before heating strike water? If so, how long before?

My understanding is that it works very quickly. I use it on all water that makes up any part of the final product. Since I do all grain, this means putting in half a tablet in my main water storage/heating keg prior to mashing and I seldom add any water after that point. I like to brew early in the morning here in Florida when it is somewhat cooler and I like to set up the night before for the same reasons. So, I am in the habit of filling up my water storage/heating keg the night before and putting the campden tabs in then - separating the process like this helps me to remember to put in the tabs. So, my water sits overnight after being treated with the tabs, but I have read elsewhere that supposedly it works in minutes.

The simplest solution to removing chloramine is treating with campden tablets. 1 is enough to treat 20 gallons, but isn't necessarily an "overdose" for smaller amounts. I crush a tablet and treat the mash and sparge water while its heating.

Dragging up an old post-- do you filter and use the campden tabs, or just the tabs? If so, what's your filter set-up?

I've been making mostly extract brews with distilled water, but am transitioning to AG. I've used spring wate ron the two AG batches, but would like to just use the tap water.

Thanks.

Back