New to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbellybrewery

Reaction score
If a keg is allowed to naturally carbonate, what about the yeast sediment? Do you just drink the 1st few yeasty pints?

You can toss the first 1/2 pour if you want. It sucks the yeast up from near the dip tube quickly. More will re-settle if you let the keg sit for a few days (keep the beer moving)

It won't hurt you to drink it, but it will be very very yeasty.

I usually just put the glass in the fridge for a few hours to let the yeast settle a bit, or use it for cooking.

That or just sacrifice it to the beer gods by dumping it.

Once it sits still overnight, and you draw off the first pint, the rest of the beer will stay nice and clear. Unless, you're like me and only have room for two kegs in the fridge, so I switch them around sometimes. I get slightly cloudy beer, but it's worth it!

A few people (Bobby M comes to mind) have cut/shortened their dip tubes, so they don't pull any sediment. That may be something to look into, if this concerns you.

A few people (Bobby M comes to mind) have cut/shortened their dip tubes, so they don't pull any sediment. That may be something to look into, if this concerns you.
That's what I did with all my kegs.

Even a force carb'd keg...when chilled for some time will have sediment at the bottom.

Naturally carbonated kegs even more so.

Dip tubes by design were meant to nearly touch the bottom of the keg so they could suck up every last drop of soda syrup. You don't really want that with beer (at least I don't).

If your dip tubes are straight, cut off 3/8" inch.

If your dip tubes are bent, simply remove it, put it over your knee and give the tube a slightly sharper bend.

Back