Can you ship beer to a friend in another State?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I live in Texas and wanted to send some examples of my brew to someone in Iowa. Is this illegal to send through the mail? Not selling or trading.

TxBrew said:
I live in Texas and wanted to send some examples of my brew to someone in Iowa. Is this illegal to send through the mail? Not selling or trading.

I've shipped some of my brew to my Dad in Wisconsin, and I don't know if its illegal or not but how is anyone ever going to know? ;) I would say differently if you were shipping overseas (customs), but from state to state as long as it isn't large amounts I think would be fine.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use the post office, but I think your ok with any other carrier. People ship their homebrews to compitions all over the U.S.

I shipped brother in CO 18 beers for christmas. It was Bells beer from the local micro brewery. I sent it UPS. They didnt know what was in it, but im pretty sure its legal. Give them a call on the phone and ask, then you can do it either way, but you'll know if youre breaking hte law or not. The thing that sucks is that its expensive because its heavy, well 18 was.. :)

Tophe96 said:
I shipped brother in CO 18 beers for christmas. It was Bells beer from the local micro brewery. I sent it UPS. They didnt know what was in it, but im pretty sure its legal. Give them a call on the phone and ask, then you can do it either way, but you'll know if youre breaking hte law or not. The thing that sucks is that its expensive because its heavy, well 18 was.. :)
I would call to make sure, I know its illegal using US mail, But I believe UPS is ok. Or mabe even Fed EX

Janx said:
It's illegal to transport your homebrew anywhere I'm pretty sure.

For transporting, I'm sure every state is different. Here is an excerpt from the Hampton Roads Brewing and Tasting Society website regarding Virginia law.....

"The Commonwealth of Virginia as of July 1, 1995 has made changes to the Code of Virginia [4.1-200(A)6] regarding the possession and transportation of homebrewed beverages in the Commonwealth.

It is legal in the Commonwealth of Virginia to remove homebrew from your place of residence.

What you can take with you:

You can take up to 15 gallons, in any type container(s)*, of homebrewed beverage from your residence to another private residence or venue and/or event where the same may be given away or dispersed as samples as provided for below.

*15 gallons =

three 5-gallon cornelius kegs OR 6 "party pigs"

OR 7.25 cases of 22 oz bottles

OR 13.3 cases of 12 oz bottles

These quantities do not apply to commercial beers purchased outside the Commonwealth. It is still illegal to transport more than 128 ounces of beer not purchased within (and therefore not taxed by) the state of Virginia.

In transporting kegs, they should not be transported either to or from the venue or event with lines or faucets in place to disperse beer. Not only is this common sense from a safety standpoint, but a keg stored in the passenger compartment of a car and set up to dispense beer is an open container under other provisions of Virginia law, regardless of whether or not it would be practical or possible to for the driver or passenger(s) to consume from it.

What you can do with it when you get there:

You may give any person of legal age an amount up to 72 ounces of homebrewed beverages. The law says this is the maximum amount of product you may give one person in one year. You may exchange like amounts of product, up to the maximum, but you may not exchange homebrewed beverages for commercial alcoholic beverages or for other items of value (homebrewing equipment, breweriana, etc.).

You or others may dispense samples of homebrewed beverages to persons of legal age for on-premise consumption at "events organized for judging or exhibiting such beer". This would include homebrew competitions held at fairs, other public attractions or private clubs or community centers (subject to the approval of the club meeting held at such facilities OR on the premises of a retail licensee (again with the consent of the licensee). The amount of the sample is up to two ounces, the same as licensees or brewery/distributor representatives are permitted to offer of commercial product under similar circumstances.

All consumption of homebrewed beverages upon the premises of either an off- or on-premise licensee is considered "sampling", and amounts provided or consumed should conform to the provision above. You are not permitted to "brown bag"; that is, bring in and consume homebrewed beverages as accompaniment to a meal purchased at an on-premise licensee.

NOTE: The statements above are intended solely as a guide to the practical applications of changes to the Code of Virginia relative to possession and transportation of home brewed malt beverages. The enforcement and adjudication of any alleged violations of provisions of the Code are dependent upon regulatory language and procedure, the performance of law enforcement authorities and judicial interpretation. This is NOT legal advice."

Back