3-MD-MT-HC Ergonomics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calculon

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm looking to pick up a pair of Little Giant 3-MD-MT-HC pumps for my AG setup. I will be using camlocks for my QDs. Can anyone offer any insight into the ergonomics of this setup?

The inlet and outlet of the pump are angled up in such a way that my hoses may interfere with one another and become awkward to conn/dconn in the heat of the moment. If anyone has a similar setup your input would be much appreciated!!

Calculon

I'm using 2 LG pumps piped to valves on output and camlocks with no problems. My system does not require switching hoses during operation, it is all done with 3-way valves. Note my very cheap splash guards!

Here's a photo of the sub base and pumps in my system.
100_0372-56979.jpg

Hey ChuckO,

Thanks for the reply. I will be disconnecting and reconnecting hoses during my brew day...If you were to be moving hoses around, do you think you'd still be happy with the way the inlets and outlets on the pump are positioned when taking camlock arms and rings and valve switches into consideration?

Nice setup. I like how you used restaurant-style wire shelving-wish I'd thought of that. how does your top shelf hold up to your firing? or are you electric?

C

I was using 3/4" camlocks on mine and had no issues with connecting up the fittings. You just have to make sure the handles of the camlocks aren't pointing at each other, but more front to back on the pump and you'll have no issues connecting them up.

Hey ChuckO,

Thanks for the reply. I will be disconnecting and reconnecting hoses during my brew day...If you were to be moving hoses around, do you think you'd still be happy with the way the inlets and outlets on the pump are positioned when taking camlock arms and rings and valve switches into consideration?

Nice setup. I like how you used restaurant-style wire shelving-wish I'd thought of that. how does your top shelf hold up to your firing? or are you electric?

C

I don't think that the camlocks would cause any problem with moving the hoses as long as you position the cams properly and remove the rings that hold the locking clips. Never did find a need for the locking clips.

I heat with electric, so the shelving doesn't cause a problem except that with a full 10 gal. boil and grain still in the MLT it deflects a little. I will switch to a SS restaurant table if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Back