first timer needing advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dknowlton

Reaction score
Hi y'all. I'm new to winemaking, so new I have yet to make a single batch. I have been doing a ton of research, reading forums, reading books, etc. I am ready to go. Can anyone here think of a few tips for the first timer so I can get off on the right foot? I have a few 1 gallon glass jugs, bungs and airlocks. Anything else I should be thinking about? I appreciate any insight anyone can give me. I love tips and advice from the experienced...Thanks

Just a few minor things. When you mix up your must, I'd recommend a food safe bucket (you can get some of them free from deli's/bakeries that used to hold peanut butter or frosting). Make about 1/3 more than one gallon (scale up the recipe) and keep the extra in a sanitized wine bottle (with an airlock and stopper) or growler (a #6 stopper and airlock for that) and use it for to top up, as you use a bit of wine with each racking. After primary, you want to keep the wine topped up to avoid any headspace.

Otherwise, if you're following a good recipe just relax and follow the instructions, more or less. When in doubt, do nothing.

That's about all I can think of!

Hi y'all. I'm new to winemaking, so new I have yet to make a single batch. I have been doing a ton of research, reading forums, reading books, etc. I am ready to go. Can anyone here think of a few tips for the first timer so I can get off on the right foot? I have a few 1 gallon glass jugs, bungs and airlocks. Anything else I should be thinking about? I appreciate any insight anyone can give me. I love tips and advice from the experienced...Thanks

You might find this useful:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp
Regards, GF.

Back