Just got hired at the LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool deal. Working at an LHBS... Priceless.

edited...

Dude sick of this. We are supposed to kiss azz now cause the economy is bad. He is the one feeding his family, he goes to work and earns a previously agreed upon wage. I'm grateful for my job and my employer, but I make him a ton of money.
I agree.

I work for Budweiser.... Should I stop brewing or drinking awesome beer?

Cellar! But please if you come in please don't mention I started bragging online. :D
Congrats! I will have to come check out the Cellar because i've never been there!

I was toying with the idea to get a part time job at a LHBS just to support my hobby.

Its awesome that you get a perk of a discount on products!

I agree.

I work for Budweiser.... Should I stop brewing or drinking awesome beer?

I have a good friend who's a brewmaster for AB/InBev down in Jacksonville. He cannot be seen in public drinking a non-InBev product. I would assume homebrew is fine, since he is also a homebrewer.

As far as the OP, I think that's a little different. The LHBS can't really compete with bulk on-line hop suppliers, nor should they try. It's not even the same product really, unless HopsDirect is now packaging your pound of hops in little 1 oz bags.

Congrats! I live pretty close to Cellar, and sometimes shop there, although I gotta admit I normally take the trip down to Larry's cause their prices are pretty good. I've been known to get the urge to brew in Sundays, or have a yeast emergency and Cellar is always there for me! Hope to see you there sometime, and well done on following your passion. Especially in this economy!

Working in a homebrew shop is a blast! I put in a few hours every so often on the weekends. The shop usually sells items to the employees at cost or just above. As an added bonus we get to drink beer on the job that is from the attached Dry Dock Brewery as well as homebrew. It is a great forum to field questions from newer or less expierenced brewers. All employees there try to steer them in the right direction concerning the basic do's and dont's of brewing. We also have homebrewers bring in the batches they have brewed so we can sample them. Most of the time the beer is good, occasionally it is very good and now and then it is horrible. We give honest, constructive feedback with all samples. If I could make as much money there as my regular job I'd probably jump.

Enjoy working there. It will be fun.

I have a good friend who's a brewmaster for AB/InBev down in Jacksonville. He cannot be seen in public drinking a non-InBev product. I would assume homebrew is fine, since he is also a homebrewer.

That's lame. Would make for a good court case if they fired him. Even if there weren't laws against that (and I can only assume, since I'm no law expert) I frankly find it hard to believe that AB/InBev doesn't let a brewmaster sample competitor products. Well, nevermind, now that I think about it CEOs are generally ******** and greedy bastards.

That's lame. Would make for a good court case if they fired him. Even if there weren't laws against that (and I can only assume, since I'm no law expert) I frankly find it hard to believe that AB/InBev doesn't let a brewmaster sample competitor products. Well, nevermind, now that I think about it CEOs are generally ******** and greedy bastards.

It's actually not unusual in the industry. I thought that was common knowledge.

It's actually not unusual in the industry. I thought that was common knowledge.

Then why do we tout "freedom" so much in these United States? Guess for the same reason we seem to think we have the best health care... ignorance. /off my soapbox.

Then why do we tout "freedom" so much in these United States? Guess for the same reason we seem to think we have the best health care... ignorance. /off my soapbox.

Because you're "free" to turn down the job with requirements you don't like. You're "fee" to find employment elsewhere.

:mug:

You're free because the government can't throw you in jail or fine you for drinking a beer, no matter who you are (as long as you're of age). He's free to drink his non Bud beer, just as his employer is free to fire him for it.

Do you think "freedom" means you can do whatever you please without repercussions?

I just think that's lame. If the guy signed a contract that he can't drink anything but AB/InBev stuff then fine, that's what he agreed to. It seems a bit silly to me for AB/InBev to care what their employees drink, since basically almost everyone else in the country is drinking their crap already, but whatever. Seems contrary to a free spirit to me though.

That's business for you. They're out to make money, nothing more. I guess they think it looks bad if their employees are seen in public drinking a competitor's product. It's pretty much par for the course, and all kinds of businesses do it. What do you think would happen to someone working at a Gap store in a mall, who walks into work wearing an Abercrombie shirt? They'd get a change of shirt or sent home. That's capitalism for you. It has its good points and bad points, but really, what are you going to do? It's not like we're getting a new economic system anytime soon.

Anyway, this is way the hell off topic. Congrats on the new job, OP.

Frodo said:
It seems a bit silly to me for AB/InBev to care what their employees drink, since basically almost everyone else in the country is drinking their crap already, but whatever. Seems contrary to a free spirit to me though.
Ever seen the documentary "Beer Wars"? If not, you should. BMC (especially Bud, now InBev) are not messing around. They brew beer as a commodity to dominate the market; not because they're passionate about brewing/beer. And certainly not because they care a damn about "freedom".

Congrats Anubis.

I know around here, NO ONE seems to be leaving a job they have to persue something they "want to do" , or are passionate about. It's refreshing to see someone who is in a position to take such a leap of faith.

I'm cheering for you dude - I hope it is everything you dream and more.

:mug:

Our corporate taxes are the highest in the industrialized world.

I might believe that if I saw any hard evidence from a credible source. Usually, it's politicians who like to cater to the malcontent of corporations that use this line. No offense to you, of course - I'm just not buying it.

Back