Anyone ever try apple jack??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
Last weekend I was talking to my uncle when he asked me if I ever tried or made apple jack. I asked him what it was and when he told me it was a drink they used to drink a lot of in the colonial times I went and looked it up.

I found a few different sites on how to make it from cider. Ehow said to boil some brown sugar with water then throw some yeast and apple juice together let it ferment. Then you freeze it remove the white ice from the top and keep repeating the steps until it can't freeze.

Anyone else know a more in depth way to make this. I was thinking about making it for thanksgiving to share with the family...

I see...So I pretty much should make an afelwine and follow the destilling procedure to make applejack??

I see...So I pretty much should make an afelwine and follow the destilling procedure to make applejack??

YES. I do this from time to time. It does not taste bad but to me it tastes more apple like than the apfelwine but with a strong alcohol burn on the end.

For the record you need to treat this stuff like wine or face the music. Think about this for a moment, would you slam 1/2 a bottle of wine in 3 minutes? No, because you will be hungover bad, the same applies for this stuff, a shot or 2 an hour is fine but slamming a bunch is a recipe that requires aspirin and a bucket...

GL :drunk:

For the record you need to treat this stuff like wine or face the music.

Based on my experiences back in college, it's more like a hard liquor. Or maybe the winters in Ithaca, NY just made for higher concentrations. We generally ended up with about a quart of AJ starting with a gallon of very hard cider (roughly the same ABV as AW). I suspect it was 70+ proof.

Excuse my noobness to hard booze creation but could you run it through a charcoal filter to remove some of the headache water? I know it is adding more steps to a KISS brew but just a thought.

Excuse my noobness to hard booze creation but could you run it through a charcoal filter to remove some of the headache water? I know it is adding more steps to a KISS brew but just a thought.

Filtering will remove bad oils, but not alcohols, IIRC.

You could also do this thing called "drinking responsibly" and only having a few ounces a day.

Unheard of, I know. ;)

Drink an equal amount (alcohol-wise) of vodka or ice-distilled applejack, and the hangover difference is huge. In traditional distilling, they have to throw the first distilled amount out, because it's poisonous.

I'm talking about hangovers when there shouldn't be hangovers.

Back