Carbonation vs. Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbox12

Reaction score
Wondering if or what the relationship between carbonation and the head on the beer is. Such as if you have a lot of carbonation will you have a lot of head on the beer?

not necessarily. You can have a highly carbed beer where the heat vanishes pretty quickly, like many light lager style beers, and you could have some lower carbed beers like stouts and porters that have huge thick heads.

It has more to do with proteins present in certain grains used, such a carapils and even wheat.

There's some good info on that here http://www.brewwiki.com/index.php/Head_Retention

Carbonation is only one factor in head formation and retention. Highly carbonated beers to tend to have have greater head formation and retention, but as Revvy says, that is not necessarily true (especially when it comes to retention). I've seen many highly carbonated beers that pour a huge head that fades quickly (some almost like a carbonated soft drink), and I'm not just talking about light lagers. It can happen with any style.

TL

what about clarity? I notice that some of my beers which havnt cleared quite yet but are perfectly carbonated have more head? Is that possilble.?

Back