Using juice instead of concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

womencantsail

Reaction score
I'm going to be starting my first journey into cider making soon as I want to get the girlfriend involved in the beverage making and she's not a fan of beer.

I found a recipe I think she and I would both like, sceneater's Cherry Bomb Cider.

I can, obviously, get the apple juice. But I cannot get the Cherry/Pomegranate concentrate. However, I can get Cherry/Pomegranate juice. I'm assuming the 3 quarts of water are used because of the 3 cans of concentrate. So, do I just ditch that portion of the recipe and use 3 quarts of the Cherry/Pomegranate juice?

I'm probably making this more complicated in my mind than it really is, but figured I should ask before I go off and start just dumping things into a carboy.

I'm going to be starting my first journey into cider making soon as I want to get the girlfriend involved in the beverage making and she's not a fan of beer.

I found a recipe I think she and I would both like, sceneater's Cherry Bomb Cider.

I can, obviously, get the apple juice. But I cannot get the Cherry/Pomegranate concentrate. However, I can get Cherry/Pomegranate juice. I'm assuming the 3 quarts of water are used because of the 3 cans of concentrate. So, do I just ditch that portion of the recipe and use 3 quarts of the Cherry/Pomegranate juice?

I'm probably making this more complicated in my mind than it really is, but figured I should ask before I go off and start just dumping things into a carboy.

Your juice can not contain any Potasium Sorbate or other types of preservatives which would inhibit fermentation. As long as the juice is free of these, you should have good results.

Good Luck.

Salute! :mug:

Yeah, I know about the need for preservative free juice. I've already checked out the ingredients and the only thing they have besides water and juice is ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), so I should be good to go.

Thanks for the help, guys.

I've found that most of juices have additives to them but the cherry juice I use is 100% natural. Also, make sure the cherry concentrate isn't mixed with any apple/pomegranate, etc juices. I am finding the name on the label says cherry juice but it has other juices mixed in.

You might try this: http://www.knudsenjuice.com/products/concentrates/black_cherry
They also have the pom concentrate. Or this: http://www.knudsenjuice.com/products/pure_juice/organic_just_tart_cherry
The Knudsen site also has a "where to buy" function so you can find a lcl store to buy from. Hope you find this info useful. Regards, GF.

Yeah, I know about the need for preservative free juice. I've already checked out the ingredients and the only thing they have besides water and juice is ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), so I should be good to go.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Boiling it will get rid of the vitaman C so you'll basically just have pure flavour and water after that, so it's fine to use! You could basically turn it to concentrate if you boil it for a long time...but just use the juice :p

Back