Dry Yeast Profiles/Descriptions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 to this!!!

and +1000 to your earlier post.

if anyone is getting peaches or any esters from chico yeast, try not fermenting at 90F. It is probably one of the most forgiving strains for clean fermentations that are a bit high in temp.

and +1000 to your earlier post.

if anyone is getting peaches or any esters from chico yeast, try not fermenting at 90F. It is probably one of the most forgiving strains for clean fermentations that are a bit high in temp.

Yepper!!!!!

I think at least once or twice I HAVE fermented it by accident (not having swamp cooler ready for warm weather brewing and getting a heat snap) in the high 70's or low 80's and still managed to have a clean flavor profile....

05 is pretty much my "goto" neutral ale yeast.

I've only now started weening myself off using it so often and trying to brew more yeast driven beers like belgians to actually get those esters and stuff. It's been fun actually.

:mug:

UPDATE: I am still working on the dry yeast reference chart/spreadsheet but, unfortunately, I only have MS Office at work so I'm doing it in dribs and drabs. I'll post it when it's done.

...definitely need Excel + Word for home but won't pay MS's extortionate prices for as little as I would use them. :mad:

Yeah, I know I'm in the 1% minority, but I find 001/1056 still cleaner than S-05. Once someone in my brewclub pointed out a repeated peach from S-05 (fermented at 58, not 90) I can taste it everytime.

I don't know if I could say one is cleaner than the other, but there is a distinctly different mouthfeel even when both finish at the same FG.

Yeah, I think it's just because my club members said it - so now I notice it. If they never had, I probably would have never noticed it.

Sounds like a job for a split batch, blind triangle test to really find out.

Thanks for the effort in putting this together. It will definitely come in handy when you're done.

UPDATE: I am still working on the dry yeast reference chart/spreadsheet but, unfortunately, I only have MS Office at work so I'm doing it in dribs and drabs. I'll post it when it's done.

If you have a gmail account, click Documents on the top left of the page and you have a web-based document (spreadsheet, word file, whatever you want) that you can even share with other gmail accounts so that you can all edit it :)

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how this list was coming about? I also would like to mention a theory about nottingham yeast. Is it possible that it's related to the Wyeast 1098 British Ale strain or the WLP007 Dry English from white labs?

Nottingham:
"The Nottingham strain was selected for its highly flocculant & relatively full attenuation properties. It produces low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas and has been described as neutral for ale yeast, allowing the full natural flavor of malt & hops to develop."

Wyeast 1098
"Produces beers with a clean neutral finish allowing malt and hop character to dominate. Ferments dry & crisp, slightly tart, fruity and well balanced. Ferments well down to 65°F (18°C)."

The descriptions are both similar. Both strains also attenuate quite well and have good flocculation characteristics. This leads me to believe that if they are not from the same strain, they could probably be substituted for one another. Anyhow, just my two cents.

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how this list was coming about? I also would like to mention a theory about nottingham yeast. Is it possible that it's related to the Wyeast 1098 British Ale strain or the WLP007 Dry English from white labs?

Nottingham:
"The Nottingham strain was selected for its highly flocculant & relatively full attenuation properties. It produces low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas and has been described as neutral for ale yeast, allowing the full natural flavor of malt & hops to develop."

Wyeast 1098
"Produces beers with a clean neutral finish allowing malt and hop character to dominate. Ferments dry & crisp, slightly tart, fruity and well balanced. Ferments well down to 65°F (18°C)."

The descriptions are both similar. Both strains also attenuate quite well and have good flocculation characteristics. This leads me to believe that if they are not from the same strain, they could probably be substituted for one another. Anyhow, just my two cents.

ya! Did this list ever make it out alive?

Question on splitting a batch. I have two batches where I boiled up the wort and then tried to split. In both cases the Specific Gravity was significantly different between the fermentors (1.056 vs 1.040 for one batch). The last batch I even added a large amount of water to the wort to dilute it to reduce the likelihood of a mismatch. Do the components settle quickly from the water?

What is the recommended method to split a batch. I know sounds dumb but so far my method of a pan full of the wort to alternating to each fermentor is not working.

Back