Leaks, beer without pressure & fixes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob211

Reaction score
Aargh. Go to get beer, PSI=0. I had been doing fine with 3 kegs and various fittings; perhaps the 4th I just filled leaked at lid or something.

And of course it's on a Sunday and no CO2 available anywhere.

I'm trying to swap out a tank tomorrow; probably will get a 5lb spare. I have my keezer set up with a Y-splitter in the hose so I can use a separate line to do stuff like force beer outta the fermenter, purge kegs outside the keezer, etc. Turns out there's lotsa uses for CO2 'round the house. But that also means more connections, and perhaps one of those is what failed. So a coupla questions:

Anyone know a good source for a refiller for 20lb to 5lb tanks, assuming they take the same threads? Everything I get a hit on is paintball. Both ends would need to be CGA320. It looks like the stuff is pretty standard gas fittings, the rub would be finding hose that's high pressure and could withstand the cold. Maybe not worth it, but thought I'd check.

Do people keep their pressure on all the time, even after the beer has carbonated? I never shut the valve off, but now I'm thinking I should, and just top off every time I get a beer.

Is there anything I should do, now that I have no CO2 pressure in my kegs, until I get the new bottle hooked up? I figure the beer will be releasing some CO2, so it should not go bad in a day or so, but I dunno. Never had this happen before. :cross:

thanks,
Rob

Back