Buying an Angle Grinder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I just came back from Home Depot, and there were three Ryobi angle grinders in the "Used and Returned" rack, for about $25 each.

So what's your question?

They're good tools to have around, for $25 (I think they're $40-ish each regularly) they're worth it. It should still come with a warranty... no?

kvh

I'd buy a 4.5" model, if they have it for $25.

I have the cheapest one, the 4" (yes, Cheese - I HAVE A FOUR INCHER, get it out of your system), and it's worked great and I have used it a LOT. The only thing I hate is that the tool you use to change out the disks is chintzy, and finally broke on me.

I just bought a 4.5 today on sale for $19... cutting my keggle today with it...

Bird, we have the same tool (just ask your mom).

I'm just putting this up there for anyone thinking of buying one. I saw a nice set that I'm envious of and it cost a lot less than mine.

I just remembered when I was cleaning the basement now that I bought a crapload of 4.5" wheels that I have long since lost the recipt for (too big for my grinder), I would have tossed them in the mail to you so they wouldn't go to waste. Oh, well.

What are "fingers"?

Seriously though.. You can usually bend the guard out to accommodate a 4.5" wheel.

Or wear steel gloves.

EDIT: Oh and what part of "Utterly Mad" don't you understand?
<<<<<<<<<<<---------

My new grinder got a 60 minute work-out tearing a hole in my keggle... tearing up my finger too OUCH.... it happens fast at 11,000 RPM!

Pol

Why not just buy a new one. Why would anybody want to return an anglegrinder! Beats me, there must be something wrong with them.
...I have a ryobi one and it is ok, apart from the on-off switch sticking on the on position sometimes! ...at least it goes :)

Just wear gloves, glasses and ear plugs and never remove the guard !

The fingers are not supposed to be close to the disc.

I cut myself a few years ago, but I removed the guard.... stupid me. Nothing really bad but hurts a bit.

Btw, buy a good brand. I bought one 20$, china unbranded... burnt it, got it back, had a new one in exchange and burnt it again 20 minutes later. It's all crap.

I always buy Chicago Electric power tools, and I love them! This is a Chicago Electric 4.5" and 4.5 amp grinder, it took the hour or torture really well, I am pleased!

Pol

The Pol said:
I always buy Chicago Electric power tools, and I love them! This is a Chicago Electric 4.5" and 4.5 amp grinder, it took the hour or torture really well, I am pleased!

Pol

I have one of those too, Harbor Freight, $10 new. I've used it on many a project. Another option is to just get a grinding wheel for your regular circular saw, they are also only a couple of dollars for the grinding wheel. I've cut quite thick metal with both of these tools (sparks flying everywhere - best to use a face shield and long gloves).

Latest posts

Back