Good "lawn mower ale" recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wittmania

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew something that's light and easy to drink when it's hot outside, the kind of beer you'd want to drink nearly ice cold after you get done pushing a lawn mower around in 90* weather.

Any all grain recipe suggestions? I can only brew 5 gal. batches with my existing setup.

As a secondary concern, I'd like something that will be ready fairly quickly since my supply of beer on hand has recently been significantly diminished by thirsty friends and family. I keg and force carb, so I'm mostly talking about something that wouldn't necessarily require a long primary and/or a secondary.

Oooooh, I know I know!!!! I have three that I would recommend. Two are mine, under the "recipes" under my avatar.

First, the "corn cream ale" is a winner. I should change the name, because it doesn't taste like corn (which sounds gross) but instead a light lawnmower beer.

Second, I LOVE the "Fizzy Yellow Beer" that I also have in the recipes. It's not as light as the cream ale, but definitely a lawnmower beer.

The third one that I have brewed that fits the beer is Biermuncher's "Cream of Three Crops". That one has rice and corn, and is light and a great lawnmower beer.

All three of those recipes are pretty darn cheap, too!

I have made a version of New Glarus' "spotted cow" cream ale a couple times recently, because it is a quick-turnaround beer(grain to glass in 3 weeks - even less if you keg) that is enjoyed by both beer snobs and Bud/Miller/Coors drinkers. I think it's a little more interesting than most cream ales. I use the same basic recipe as Northern Brewer's "speckled heifer" kit, with the main change being that I use White Labs' cream ale blend (WLP080). If you want the recipe, let me know.

:mug:
-Adam

" In this life, you gotta believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. "

@Yooper: I have only brewed one of your recipes (DFH 60 Min. clone) but that went so well that I'm anxious to try another one.

@AdamWiz: I do want the recipe! Can you either link to it or post it?

Haven't tried Yooper's (though I'm pretty confident they are winners!!), but I can attest to Biermuncher's "Cream of Three Crops". Very easy drinking, especially cold.

Here's the recipe:
"Dairyland Cream Ale"
- 7.5 lbs. 2-row
- 8 oz. cara-pils
- 4 oz. flaked barley
- 7 oz. flaked corn

- 1/2 oz. Cluster pellets(7.8%AA) for 45 min.
- 1/4 oz. Cluster pellets(7.8%AA) for 15 min.

-WLP080 Cream Ale Blend (or you can use a standard like WLP001)

-mash to hit 152 (60 min. sach rest)
-mashout to 170
-primary ferment at 66-69 F for about 10-14 days(no secondary needed, I have tried with and without a secondary and not much difference) then bottle or keg and carb to 2.5-3 volumes.

The OG comes out to about 1.043, FG 1.010, IBU about 23-24, SRM 3

First, the "corn cream ale" is a winner. I should change the name, because it doesn't taste like corn (which sounds gross) but instead a light lawnmower beer.

Corn cream ale? I thought it was creamed corn ale! I was gonna brew it, but now what am I gonna do with all these cans of creamed corn?!? ;)

there's an oyster stout thread here somewhere, i wouldn't put creamed corn in a beer past this group... lol.

Corn cream ale? I thought it was creamed corn ale! I was gonna brew it, but now what am I gonna do with all these cans of creamed corn?!? ;)

there's an oyster stout thread here somewhere, i wouldn't put creamed corn in a beer past this group... lol.

Aw, c'mon. I know you're just teasing. um, right? :D

You can mail me the cans of creamed corn- my grandson will enjoy it since he only has 6 teeth. When he gets a few taste buds, though, we'll be doing more exciting grains. Ok, like barley. ;)

been searching around for this myself today.

anybody have any recipes that are good partial mash or extract brews? I haven't been able to find a good partial mash recipe that has been tested for the Cream of Three Crops. I have a blonde fermenting now, but I want to get a cream ale as well.

Aw, c'mon. I know you're just teasing. um, right? :D

You can mail me the cans of creamed corn- my grandson will enjoy it since he only has 6 teeth. When he gets a few taste buds, though, we'll be doing more exciting grains. Ok, like barley. ;)

Yeah, I'm teasing. I always have use for creamed corn since I have a good corn chowder recipe. :D

I thought the Fizzy Yellow Beer recipe sounded cool, but my LHBS guy said he thought it would be fairly malty with the maris otter and biscuit malts. I send him the Cream of Three Crops recipe and I'm waiting to hear what he thinks. He's been brewing for about 30 years, so I usually take his advice pretty seriously.

Yooper, would you agree with his opinion that the FYB would be a little more malty rather than crisp and clean?

This wheat recipe has been good to me
5 lbs. 2 Row
5 lbs. White Wheat
1 oz. Tettnang 60 min
1 oz. Tettnang 10 min
4 oz. Flaked Wheat
1/2 lbs. Rice Hulls
60 min. mash at 154
11.5 g WB-06
2 weeks in primary and a week of keg conditioning and it's ready to go.
VERY easy to produce and very effective at beating the heat.:mug:

I thought the Fizzy Yellow Beer recipe sounded cool, but my LHBS guy said he thought it would be fairly malty with the maris otter and biscuit malts. I send him the Cream of Three Crops recipe and I'm waiting to hear what he thinks. He's been brewing for about 30 years, so I usually take his advice pretty seriously.

Yooper, would you agree with his opinion that the FYB would be a little more malty rather than crisp and clean?

My fizzy yellow beer doesn't have either maris otter or biscuit malts. :confused: The cream ale does, but it has corn in it to lighten the body significantly. So, no, I'd say I wouldn't agree. ;)

The Fizzy Yellow Beer recipe is:

7 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 30.00 %
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (60 min) Hops 14.1 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (45 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (0 min) Hops

Here's the recipe:
"Dairyland Cream Ale"
- 7.5 lbs. 2-row
- 8 oz. cara-pils
- 4 oz. flaked barley
- 7 oz. flaked corn

- 1/2 oz. Cluster pellets(7.8%AA) for 45 min.
- 1/4 oz. Cluster pellets(7.8%AA) for 15 min.

-WLP080 Cream Ale Blend (or you can use a standard like WLP001)

-mash to hit 152 (60 min. sach rest)
-mashout to 170
-primary ferment at 66-69 F for about 10-14 days(no secondary needed, I have tried with and without a secondary and not much difference) then bottle or keg and carb to 2.5-3 volumes.

The OG comes out to about 1.043, FG 1.010, IBU about 23-24, SRM 3

Decided to go with AdamWiz's Dairyland Cream Ale. It sounded interesting and my LHBS was on board. Made a starter last night from some WLP001 that I harvested from a previous batch and should be brewing this in a couple of days. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Nice! I just went down and cracked the first bottle of my latest batch of this, even though it has only been bottled for 4 days( what can I say? I'm just an impatient kind of guy. I normally have "tested" at least 4-5 bottles by the time a beer is actually ready:)). Not fully carbed yet, but man is this sucker smooth. Some cream ales try so hard to be crisp that they have kind of an unpleasant "sharpness" to them - not this guy. Easy drinking. Makes me wish it were warmer in Michigan right now( I know you understand, Yooper). I normally am into higher gravity beers than this, but have brewed this recipe several times lately because I am trying to get the girlfriend to quit buying macro(she always claims to like all of my beers, yet I still find Bud Light in the fridge). And I have really been enjoying it, my first truly sessionable beer. This is also the first time I have ever brewed and tweaked the same recipe several times in a row, and I have really learned a lot from doing so. It is a lot easier to see the effects of subtle changes in ingredients or process when you do the same recipe again. Anyways, keep me posted on your progress and results. I am curious as to how this works out for someone else. I have actually never used WLP001 on this, even though it's the yeast that is called for in the origional recipe I started with. Maybe yours will be even better!

Right now I'm drinking a Citra Wheat that's pretty tasty - it definitely goes down smooth along with some yard work. And since it's a wheat beer, it can be ready quickly! Next time I'd probably just use something neutral like Magnum for bittering, and maybe try WY1010 instead of 1056.

Citra Wheat - American Wheat or Rye Beer
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 6.500 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.4%%
Bitterness: 45.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 6 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Crystal 20L Grain 1.000 lb Yes No 75%% 20 L
Pale Malt(2-row) Grain 4.500 lb Yes No 78%% 2 L
Wheat Malt Grain 6.000 lb Yes No 86%% 2 L
Total grain: 11.500 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Simcoe 11.0%% 0.501 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 18.0
Citra 14.0%% 0.751 oz Boil 20.000 min Pellet 20.8
Citra 14.0%% 0.751 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 6.8
Citra 14.0%% 0.501 oz Dry Hop 0.000 s Pellet 0.0

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Amercan Ale/Chico Ale Dry 1.057 qt Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Temp Target Time
Saccharification Rest Infusion 4.025 gal 165.281 F 152.600 F 1.000 hr
Final Batch Sparge Infusion 3.970 gal 180.972 F 165.200 F 15.000 min

Beers like my Popcorn Cream are what I call lawn mower beers. I make lagers too but they tend to be a little higher in alcohol. My last cream ale is Pilsner and 33% white rice from a cereal mash with a FWH of Crystal for 16 IBUs. It came out great, but still a little too high in alcohol 1.050 OG to 1.008 FG. Very smooth with no offensive flavors I find in most high adjunct lagers. No sulfur at all. There is something special about a well crafted ale. Best of all if I follow the fermentation close I can have them bottled and ready to serve in about two weeks from brew day.

Beers like my Popcorn Cream are what I call lawn mower beers.
I have heard of using popcorn instead of flaked, how does that come out? Do you just mix it in with your grains before you mash, or is there a different method to adding the popcorn? I have been curious to try this.

@AdamWiz, I had a question for you about the boil time. I just realized that the bittering hops boil for just 45 minutes, not 60. Do you still boil the wort for a full hour, with the first hop addition at 45 minutes or do you shorten the boil so it's only boiling for 45 total?

Getting ready to start my brew day in about an hour so hopefully you'll see this soon! Thanks!

hope I got to you in time - I do boil for a full hour. The only reason I had to cut the bittering hops down to 45 minuites was because I was using higher alpha hops than the origional recipe called for and I decided to just cut down their boil time rather than using less. Happy Brewing, keep me posted.

-Adam

Just heating my strike water now. Thanks for your quick reply! I'll definitely let you know how this one turns out.

SUCCESS!!! I got home from work last night to find my girlfriend drinking one of these instead of her usual Bud light! And it wasn't just the one - I also found 3 other empty bottles in the kitchen. I now have a standing order from her to keep some of this on hand at all times. Now I know this recipe is a success - she'll normally try one of my beers when I ask her to, but this is the first time I have ever had her drink mine on her own:rockin: I just got done registering online to enter this in an upcoming competition put on by Arbor Brewing Co. I am curious to see how I do since this will be my first time entering a competition. I have high hopes for finishing well in the light hybrid category, but I doubt many cream ales take best of show awards since it is such a basic style.

i had a sudden change from 65 to 79% effishensy(4,5-4,75 is store strength here)
Is munic malt a god idea for making a low ABV beer?

@AdamWiz: I know you said you didn't notice a difference on the cream ale when you used a secondary. Have you ever tried cool crashing it? I seem to remember from the Spotted Cow web page that they say the yeast in it adds to the flavor.

This is my first cream ale so I don't know much about the style. Thanks again for all of your help. Looking to either cool crash this or rack to a keg later today.

I have never cold crashed this one. It is only very slightly hazy, and once the bottles had been in the fridge for a couple days after carbonating, they pretty much cleared up. I don't really worry about clarity too much though - I know that cream ales are usually pretty crystal clear, but if memory serves I think spotted cow is intended to stay a bit cloudy. In fact, I don't think they actually refer to it as a cream ale - they call it something like "Wisconsin farmhouse ale". Whatever it is, it goes fast. My latest 5 gallon batch is almost gone, and they've only been carbonated for about a week. I am set to brew another batch tomorrow, this time using WLP001 instead of the cream ale blend. Let me know how it turned out.

-Adam

Just kegged it tonight so I could rack a copper ale onto the yeast cake (I used WLP001). It spent 16 days in the primary and it looked really pretty on its way into the keg. My LHBS guy said a cream ale should be really clear, so I would guess the longer I can let things cold condition in the keg the better it will be. Of course, once it carbs up I'll probably start drinking it in earnest. :rockin:

How did it turn out for you? I was thinking about it since I have the mash resting right now on yet another batch of this. I have been brewing a lot lately, building up a pretty nice summer supply:D

@Adam, this beer turned out great. I'm glad you followed up here and I was just thinking last night that I should post an update.

This was pretty hazy right out of the keg, but it has cleared up pretty quickly. I think you're right that Spotted Cow is supposed to have yeast in there to add "complexity" to this beer, but I personally don't think that's a great fit. The corn added a nice lightness to this, while the Carapils gave it a mouthfeel that was "more" than a Bud Heavy without adding too much chewiness to it.

We had some people over for a back yard party on Saturday and I dragged my keezer out onto our patio. The cream ale was a huge hit, with people who don't normally like beer coming back for seconds. The only problem is that we went through a ton of beer, so now both of my kegs are empty. I had my wife ask her girl friends yesterday what I should brew next. All three of them said "the cream ale!" in unison. I learned as a frat boy long ago that you can't go wrong by making sure the ladies have something nice to drink!

I had my mind made up that I was going to do BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter next and let it condition until sometime around Thanksgiving, but now that I need to replenish my pipeline it looks like I'll be brewing this again on Thursday night. I have that copper I mentioned earlier in the thread that I brewed on 5/13, so I think I'll keg that and rack the new cream ale back on to that same yeast cake. This beer is already cheap enough to produce, but re-using the WLP001 makes it even more so. I've thought about using WLP080 as you suggest, but my LHBS charges $10 a vial for White Labs. Do you think it would make much of a difference? I have a hunch that this may become a house beer for me, so I could probably make the investment and then reuse the yeast.

Thanks again for the recipe. I will likely be using it all summer long!

The only problem is that we went through a ton of beer, so now both of my kegs are empty. I had my wife ask her girl friends yesterday what I should brew next. All three of them said "the cream ale!" in unison. I learned as a frat boy long ago that you can't go wrong by making sure the ladies have something nice to drink!

I had my mind made up that I was going to do BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter next and let it condition until sometime around Thanksgiving, but now that I need to replenish my pipeline it looks like I'll be brewing this again on Thursday night.

same thing happened to me. This stuff has been dissapearing fast, that's why I just made back-to-back batches of it despite the fact that I have several other beers planned that I have been wanting to brew. I just bottled up one batch on Saturday, then brewed another last night. I should have a pretty nice supply soon. I have used WLP001 on the last couple batches, I actually like it a little better than the cream ale blend. I think it makes the beer a bit smoother. The cream ale blend makes for a little bit more of a lager-like taste. I like both, but I think I will be using Cal ale for the this one for the most part. I can practically brew this in my sleep by now, with 5 batches of it made within the last couple months. And I'm sure I'll brew it at least a few more times this summer. Glad it worked out for you.
-Adam

I had my wife ask her girl friends yesterday what I should brew next. All three of them said "the cream ale!" in unison. I learned as a frat boy long ago that you can't go wrong by making sure the ladies have something nice to drink!

Before you decide on that I would like to recomend this Lemon Blonde --> https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/squeeze-my-lemon-summer-blonde-52886/

This has become the hit of any party I take it to. My BMC loving neighbors are now offering to buy all the ingredients and help brew and bottle!

Made AdamWiz's cream ale again tonight. Hit my gravity and volume on the nose. Even got my younger brother excited about brewing. A very good night.

Made AdamWiz's cream ale again tonight. Hit my gravity and volume on the nose. Even got my younger brother excited about brewing. A very good night.

While you were brewing this last night, I was at a bonfire killing another two cases of it with friends. Everyone I have given some of this to has really liked it so far (although I usually take feedback from friends who are getting free beer with a grain of salt). I am really anxious to see the results of the competition judging from yesterday to get some unbiased opinions. I didn't attend, so I'll have to wait for them to mail me my score sheet.

Yeah, let me know what the judges have to say. I know people like this beer, but I would love to know if judges like it as well.

Back