Lagunitas Pale Ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
Partook of my first Lagunitas Pale Ale yesterday and I'm in love. The hop aroma and flavor is fan-freakin-tastic. I'm guessing the bulk of the hopping is late addition. If anyone has any insite for a recipe or at least the hops used I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Wayne

Thanks MalFet. I've come across the IPA a bunch during my searches for it. I like that the Pale isn't so bitter. The beer tastes exactly like it smells. Love it.

Thanks MalFet. I've come across the IPA a bunch during my searches for it. I like that the Pale isn't so bitter. The beer tastes exactly like it smells. Love it.

Me too. I've not been bold enough to try to recreate it. If you are, and if you have any success, please post back. :mug:

I don't have a lot of experience with hops so I really can't pinpoint what's in it. Hopefully someone has a nose for it and can tell me what hops they think are being used.

The virtual tasting video on the website says that apricot and raspberry come from the hops with crispy/crackery malts. Wish I could translate:confused:

According to Lagunitas, this beer is "made with 43 different hops and 65 various malts".
Have fun with that.

EDIT: My Apologies this is for the IPA, not the Pale Ale.

According to Lagunitas, this beer is "made with 43 different hops and 65 various malts".
Have fun with that.

EDIT: My Apologies this is for the IPA, not the Pale Ale.

That's insanity!! I can't believe no one has tried to recreate this. I don't think the malt profile would be too hard. The beer is plenty malty but hop flavor is definitely the focus.

Have you tried emailing them? They are quite open about other beers, don't see why the pale would be any different

Lagunitas IPA
============
11.33 lbs 2-row Pale Malt
0.4 lbs Dextrine Malt
0.3 lbs Crstal Malt 60L
0.2 lbs Munich Malt

8.25 AAU Horizon 60 min
4.55 AAU Cascade 30 min
1.25 AAU Willamette 30 min
15.75 AAU Cascade 0 min

Wyeast 1056 American Ale or
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash @ 154
Boil for 90 min
Whirlpool and let sit for 15 min before cooling
I havnt tried this yet but its on my list it looks like about 3 oz or more at flame out sounds good.

Lagunitas IPA
============
11.33 lbs 2-row Pale Malt
0.4 lbs Dextrine Malt
0.3 lbs Crstal Malt 60L
0.2 lbs Munich Malt

8.25 AAU Horizon 60 min
4.55 AAU Cascade 30 min
1.25 AAU Willamette 30 min
15.75 AAU Cascade 0 min

Wyeast 1056 American Ale or
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash @ 154
Boil for 90 min
Whirlpool and let sit for 15 min before cooling
I havnt tried this yet but its on my list it looks like about 3 oz or more at flame out sounds good.

That's not the recipe that Lagunitas gives out for their IPA, but more to the point the OP is looking for the regular Pale Ale (not the IPA). Several people in the thread have already offered the IPA recipe.

That's not the recipe that Lagunitas gives out for their IPA, but more to the point the OP is looking for the regular Pale Ale (not the IPA). Several people in the thread have already offered the IPA recipe.

The recipe I posted came right out of BYO classic clone recipes page 49. you can look it up yourself.My apologies to the OP for over looking the Pale Ale.

No worries Bubba.

I sent Lagunitas an email yesterday morning asking for some insight into the recipe. I'll post if they get back to me.

I had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale bomber this evening. I thought the malt profile fit pretty close to the Lagunitas. Let me know if you agree or not. The clone for the SN PA could be a good start. Add a few more oz of hops later in the boil and I think we may have a winner.

I would love this recipe. I think Lagunitas makes some killer beers, and their PaleAle is the best out there!

I've emailed them for this already. The response I got was that they recommend doing searches for it on the brewing network. They don't have it there either. I think someone should call in to the Jamil show and request a clone of this one. I agree with the original poster, its a fantastic pale ale and I've been desperately trying to recreate it ever since I first tried it.
Personally, i think the key to this one is lots of late hop additions in the boil and an excessive amount of dry hopping. I'm not sure what hops they use, but you could probably get close with simcoe and cascade if I had to guess.

I've emailed them for this already. The response I got was that they recommend doing searches for it on the brewing network. They don't have it there either. I think someone should call in to the Jamil show and request a clone of this one. I agree with the original poster, its a fantastic pale ale and I've been desperately trying to recreate it ever since I first tried it.
Personally, i think the key to this one is lots of late hop additions in the boil and an excessive amount of dry hopping. I'm not sure what hops they use, but you could probably get close with simcoe and cascade if I had to guess.

Funny. I emailed them and got the same email in return. I emailed them back and said The Brewing Netword has done everything BUT the Pale Ale. I've got two pale ales from the AHS $20 kits that I'm going to tinker with.

Back