top-fermenting yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exo

Reaction score
First off, I have no issues and think things are going fine, but wanted input as to this yeast strain and it's characteristics.

It's Wyeast 1007 German Ale in the activator pack which was pitched directly into the cooled wort. Fermentation temp is 61-62deg(optimum) w/ a SG of 1.063. The recipe saw 1# of grains steeped and 9# LME.

1007 is a top-fermenting yeast...which I've never used before. Can't find much on the net...

VIGOROUS blowoff occurred for about 24hrs...probably lost several cups of liquid during it's course.

Currently, after 11 days there is still a very nice layer (3") of "krausen". Airlock activity is approx. 1x minute. It doesn't look like "krausen" though...very thick.

The beer has cleared quite a bit since fermentation began...a very nice "Oktoberfest" look to the beer.

When fermentation is complete, will this layer fall and settle out?

Yep, you are brewing ale on the cold side so expect the process to take a little longer. Wait until the krausen drops and the bubbles stop. I would rack it to secondary no matter what if you hit 3 weeks on the trub, even if its still chugging along.

All ale yeasts are top fermenting. What is unusual about 1007 is that it's a "True top cropping yeast". As fermentation slows down, the yeast all rises to the top, forming a large, floating yeast mass. If you've never seen this happen before, it can be rather disturbing. Shake it up to get the yeast back in suspension, otherwise the fermentation may not complete. By the time it has separated again, the ferment should be done.

I'm hoping for some awesome tasting Oktoberfest with this yeast and the temp's. Don't have lagering equipment but might by March. I'm in no hurry to rack it...but will before 3wks is up.

When I rack it I'll take the hydro reading and see if it's near finished...if not I may pitch more yeast in from a starter of another recipe w/ the same yeast...Cheese's Caramel Creme...or do a gentle stir to suspend some yeasties before racking?

edit: Looking at the top layer today, it has fallen some and is looking more "krausen"-like. I imagine w/in a few days it should fall and settle.

Have an update to this. I moved the carboy to higher ground for a secondary rack. Yeasties immediately began falling so I suspect a stir would have been a good thing for this yeast. The cake was not going to fall w/o a stir or jostling. The smell was not nice.

So, I racked to secondary. I did lose a little bit of total volume to a such vigorous blow-off, but I'm not worried. Total primary time: 12 days.

SG: 1.063
Grav. upon rack: 1.022

Still a ways to go in both gravity and clarity, but MAN!!! What a great tasting beer. Extremely mellow and the hops seem very balanced. The beaker of beer I measured the gravity in got drank up immediately.

I've been able to keep the fermentation temp around 61-62deg. and it has slowed things down, but the flavors of the steeped malts are really shining through. It will be an ale I'll measure others against.

I'm really looking forward to another round with this yeast in Cheesefood's Caramel Creme.

I have an Oktoberfest Style Ale (like you, no lagering ability, OG: 1.054, 67F fermentation temps) in the secondary using Wyeast 1338.

I had a similar thing with the layer of 'krausen' on top even after bubbling in the airlock was down to 1 bpm (11 days in primary). I decided to see where I was gravity-wise and it was at 1.017. I was happy with that progress and left it for two more days (1 burb every 2 mins or so) and racked to secondary, gravity was 1.015. But I was concerned as well, even when I racked there was 1/2" or 3/4" inch of 'krausen' on top....everything seems to be fine on my end, bottling early next week.

I haven't used 1007 yet, but I believe that is a low flocculating yeast, so it might take some time for it to clear or may not clear as much as you'd like.

Just curious about your Oktoberfest Ale recipe (I'd be happy to share mine and the outcome), I'd be interested to hear how it comes out since I enjoy Oktoberfests a lot and need to use ale yeasts.....trying to figure out which one will taste the best.

EDIT: I'm very happy with my attentuation too, 72% AA, Wyeast said (I belive) 67-71% for this yeast, so I'm happy my first partial mash didn't bring about too many unfermentable sugars or anything like that.

Back