How long does your cO2 last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadSquirrel

Reaction score
Just curious. My first tank lasted a week, so I found the silly leaks and fixed them. But I'm still wondering about how long a 5lb tank "should" last. I have a five gallon corny set up. I understand that different people carbonate to different levels, just looking for a general idea.

Boy, I'm keeping my mouth shut the next time I have beer on tap!! It lasted four days. My neighbors and friends kept 'stopping in' to 'check out' my new kegerator. Yeah right. Just... checking it out... Now I don't have anything for at least two weeks. D'oh!:mug:

Oh, and how in the hell do you remove the "In" valve? It's got some kind of double multi-sided star thingies that I've never seen anywhere. It's got about 15 teeth on each. I need to change out some gaskets, but I haven't a clue how!!

DeadSquirrel said:
Oh, and how in the hell do you remove the "In" valve? It's got some kind of double multi-sided star thingies that I've never seen anywhere. It's got about 15 teeth on each. I need to change out some gaskets, but I haven't a clue how!!
If you're talking about the "In" on the keg, it's a 7/8'' wrench or deep socket. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the size.

Not sure about the size, but it sounds like he's talking about a 16 point socket. In Canada I would just pick one up at Canadian Tire, but i'm not sure in Mass......you could probably try Home Depot or Lowes, but for a 16 point I would maybe try a automotive shop.

As for the length of time per CO2 tank, the info I've read mentions a 5lbs to last 5-7 Kegs....depending on the PSI setting of course. I only have one keg on the go and it's the first one the tank has been hooked to and the tank gauge has hardly moved.

IGOR

Most are 7/8" but some are 11/16" I think. The 'star shape' is a double hex fitting. That means you can't use a standard hex socket you need a double hex socket (or a double hex wrench). My 'in' post on my kegs are 7/8" double hex like you describe. I use a 7/8" double hex wrench to remove it, but a double hex (deep) socket will work too.

I just used a pair of groove joint pliers to remove the in post (groovelock or tongue and groove, not sure the official name)

I read somewhere 2 corny's per 1lb of CO2, I have yet to test that theory as I lost my first two tanks to leaks...this one seems to be going steady, going on 3 weeks with no pressure lost (weighed in at 12lbs a couple days ago...figure 7.5lbs for the tank and the rest is CO2)

Sorry about clarifying. I guess not everyone has a 7/8'' double-hex deep socket laying around. ;) A combination wrench works too. The closed end has the double hex on it, I believe. When I tore mine apart, the "Out" was the hardest to remove due to the years of syrup buildup. The gas in was relatively easy.

I have a keg of carbonated water in my fridge and three kegs of ale. The water (25 psi) gets refilled about every ten days. My CO2 bottle lasts about four months. I suspect it would be more like a year, if I just had ale on tap.

Between 8 and 12 months I think. (I don't actually mark this on my calender.)
But I condition naturally, and use just enough pressure to deliver the beer.

-a.

Igorstien said:
I only have one keg on the go and it's the first one the tank has been hooked to and the tank gauge has hardly moved.

IGOR

Because of the properties of CO2 (stored as liquid) the gauge really won't move till it is almost empty. The high pressure side gauge is about as useful as the oil light in a car :)

AleJoe said:
Because of the properties of CO2 (stored as liquid) the gauge really won't move till it is almost empty. The high pressure side gauge is about as useful as the oil light in a car :)

Yes you are correct about that!! I should have mentioned that in my post!
And I good comparison to the oil light.....When that comes on, it's already to late.

IGOR

Brewsmith said:
Sorry about clarifying. I guess not everyone has a 7/8'' double-hex deep socket laying around. ;) A combination wrench works too. The closed end has the double hex on it, I believe. When I tore mine apart, the "Out" was the hardest to remove due to the years of syrup buildup. The gas in was relatively easy.

Here's a pic. I have a 72 piece socket set. I bought it JUST for these kegs, too. My deepest sockets spin free. Oh, and my kegs have two of these star things on top of each other on the "In" side/cO2 side.

cornykeg8aj.jpg

It may look like two but its not. There is a small notch along it that makes it look like two but it doesn't go all the way through. If you get a 7/8" long double hex socket or a 7/8" double hex wrench it will work.

Back