Drying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
Just read this and thought it was an interesting alternative to the window-screens and fans

Maybe I'll set up window screens and fans in my attic space hmm

Just-picked hops are roughly 80 percent water; if left alone they spoil rapidly. For proper storage most of the water is removed by drying. A good drying method is to lie the hops on a card or screen in an attic. Just a few hours during the heat of summer or a few hours more in cooler weather is enough to dry the hops. Use a before and after weighing (and trial and error) to try to achieve about 7-10 percent residual moisture after drying.

from http://www.realbeer.com/hops/FAQ.html

I don't go into the attic, but in the summer, my garage can run 110F or more. One day & they're done. I pull down a bine & pick it, dry it & then do the next one.

I saw on a Good Eats episode Alton was making beef jerky. To dry the jerky he placed the strips on non-fiberglass furnace filters 3 or 4 thick and bungeed them onto a box fan. He would put the fan somewhere dry and let it run, occasionally rotating the furnace filters. Later that day, the jerky was dry and ready for inhaling.....err......eating.

I'm growing hops for the first time this year and think this will be a great way to dry the hops. Any reason I shouldn't try this approach?

I saw on a Good Eats episode Alton was making beef jerky. To dry the jerky he placed the strips on non-fiberglass furnace filters 3 or 4 thick and bungeed them onto a box fan. He would put the fan somewhere dry and let it run, occasionally rotating the furnace filters. Later that day, the jerky was dry and ready for inhaling.....err......eating.

I'm growing hops for the first time this year and think this will be a great way to dry the hops. Any reason I shouldn't try this approach?

Thats what I was thinking of doing.... some sites have that approach as a way to do it.

Btw... hes a cool guy to meet. He lives about 10 minutes from me.

Back