Quickie...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMeister

Reaction score
I'm kegging most of my 5 gallon brew. However, I would like to bottle 12 of them so I can hand them out as samples. I have set aside 1-1/4c of DME, but how much would I use in each bottle to get me the correct carbonation?

12 out of 60 is 20%, so 1/4 cup? Use a 1/4 cup measure, I don't think such a small amount in a one quart measure would be accurate enough. Be prepared for over/under carbonation due to inaccuracy.

If you are going to bottle just a dozen I suggest getting some carbonation drops rather than trying to just re-calculate out your dme/corn sugar.

OOOOooh! You plan on natural carbonation! Just mix the 1 1/4c DME into the beer in the keg, and syphon the sweetened beer into the 12 bottles. Or use the tapper, with a hose stuck on the end to prevent aeriation/oxidation at that stage.

Under NO circumstance EVER try to put sugars into individual bottles. That has to cause mal-carbonation, the most common problem newbies have.

Yesterday I did the same by kegging my 5-gallon batch into my 3-gallon keg and bottled the last 2 gallons. The recipe I used is:

Water: 19.2 tsp. or 6.4 tbsp. of water per gallon of wort. In my case I used 12.8 tbsp. of water for boiling.

Corn Sugar: 2.4 tbsp, or 7.2 tsp. of corn sugar per gallon of wort. In my case I used 4.8 tbsp. of corn sugar added to the boiling water.

I've been doing this for years and have never had an under/over carbonated bottle.

Good luck,
Wild

Latest posts

Back