Which labels are you all using?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screw991le

Reaction score
I am using a regular generic paper label and have been for about 1 year. I find them a bit hard to get off after use. What are you all using, who makes them, and where did you get them?

Thanks

A lot of people here swear by printing on regular paper, then using a 50% milk, 50% water solution to "glue" the labels to the bottles. The advantage is that the label will come right off with a little water. The disadvantage is the same - if you put it in a cooler with ice expect to see a lot of labels floating freely.

I like the milk method, and Kinko's is having a color sale right now, 49c/copy. I can fit four labels on a regular sized sheet = 12.5c/label for color laser printing. I like it better than inkjet because it's more water resistant. For a few bucks you can print up your labels. Just a thought.

+1 on printer paper and milk. I dont even water my milk down. works great:)
P3290038.JPG

I like the idea. Can one of the milk-gluers give a 1-sentence rundown of the process? I am imagining something like this:

* print, cut
* use a brush to paint back of label
* position on bottle, let dry
* quick rinse to remove excess milk?

Does the milk-glue ever stink? At what point do you label? At bottling? After carbing? Just before refrigerating to serving temp?

fratermus said:
I like the idea. Can one of the milk-gluers give a 1-sentence rundown of the process? I am imagining something like this:

* print, cut
* use a brush to paint back of label
* position on bottle, let dry
* quick rinse to remove excess milk?

Does the milk-glue ever stink? At what point do you label? At bottling? After carbing? Just before refrigerating to serving temp?
DON"T BRUSH
Print, Cut...put a splash of milk on a dinner plate and dredge label (Don't get any on top) put on bottle, then push on with tea towel. Don't wipe the label, you'll smear the ink.

This may sound like a dumb question but I searched for the answer and couldn't find it. Do you need to use Whole Milk or can you use Skim or 2% etc.? Is it the protein or the fat that acts as the glue?

Thanks. I think the fat might help because I only had some skim milk and I tried it last night and this morning the labels have fallen off. I'll get some whole milk and give it a try

I use what is called Skim Supreme, it isn't true skim, but it it does not contain anywhere near the fat that whole does. It works fine for me!

my method is to fold up a few paper towels and set them in a small plate with milk in it, you can then dab the labels onto the paper towel which acts as a wick. I lightly place them on the bottle and use a clean cloth to smooth them out.
also
I have used skim, 2%, 1%, and half and half, all worked well (the half and half a little too well, hard to get off)

-ander

I used skim milk for three years and it worked well. I used black and white images and ran them through a copier so they wouldn't run. I then used a basting brush to brush on the milk.

In the past couple of months I began using color images straight off the ink jet and I now use a $1.99 glue stick I buy from the school supply section at Wally World and I find it's much easier and cleaner. The labels come off at least as easy as they do with milk.

Back