still fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metzger22

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch on Monday. After about 12 hours it was fermenting pretty aggresivly judging by the airlock. Today it seems to have stopped. Just the occasional bubble in the airlock. The only thing that has changed is the temp. has gone from 66 degrees to about 72. Should I pitch some more yeast or is it fine the way it is. I pitched muntons dry ale yeast. Help please. :confused:

It's fine- what's happening is normal. Try to keep it at a steady temperature if you can, I like to keep mine at a steady 64-66 degrees if I can. Just be patient, and in a couple of weeks, you'll have beer!

Thanks. I've posted on another forum and everyone seems to agree that it is probably fine. I do have some dificulty keeping it at a steady temp. but I think I'll wrap the fermenter in blanket. Maybe this will reduce the temp. changes.

Ahhhh, I checked the gravity with the hydrometer and it reads about 16 or 18. My FG should be 14 to 10. So, I'm guessing this beer is pretty much done fermenting. I'll let it sit a while and then bottle. Should I consider a Secondary?

Metzger22 said:
Ahhhh, I checked the gravity with the hydrometer and it reads about 16 or 18. My FG should be 14 to 10. So, I'm guessing this beer is pretty much done fermenting. I'll let it sit a while and then bottle. Should I consider a Secondary?

If it's 16-18 and your final grav goal is 14-10 then it's not done fermenting...it's got a few days yet to go...

Secondary is your call...I use a secondary for 2 weeks...FOr one thing it frees up my fermentor for another immediate batch of beer...plus I like letting it clear...and I also believe in long bottle conditioning...but either wayt...secondary or straight to bottle let it sit in the bottles for 3 weeks before drinking....

Okay, just so I'm clear on this. I'm getting 18 or so on the hydrometer now. It has only been three days. Will it continue to ferment down to 14-10 even though I'm unable to tell by the airlock? It's a three piece airlock and the little cap inside isn't even pushed up like there is any gas at all trying to escape. Sorry if this seems redundant.

Metzger22 said:
Okay, just so I'm clear on this. I'm getting 18 or so on the hydrometer now. It has only been three days. Will it continue to ferment down to 14-10 even though I'm unable to tell by the airlock? It's a three piece airlock and the little cap inside isn't even pushed up like there is any gas at all trying to escape. Sorry if this seems redundant.

The airlock is not an indication of fermentation or lack of...The only way to tell is with a hydrometer...

Yes, it will continue to ferment until it's finished, even though you might not see it. I've had beers ferment out completely, from 1.050 to 1.012 without showing ANY visible signs. That's why we always say that you can't really gauge a fermentation just by airlock activity. Sure, if the airlock is super active, that's a great sign of fermentation, but if you don't see that, it doesn't mean fermentation isn't happening.

I'd walk away and ignore the beer for at least another week (that will teach it!) and I bet when you check the sg, it'll be right where it should be!

Some beers just take a while to ferment out as well. 3 days is not a long time. I don't even check on a beer for a week at a minimum. I have Kolsch that is still actively fermenting at almost 3 weeks in the primary at 60F.

After a week or so, take hydrometer readings a few days apart. If they are the same and near your FG then the beer is done. If it is still dropping then it is still fermenting.

Well, it's been two weeks now and I'm still getting 1.016 on the hydrometer. Something that may be the problem is that I'm taking my reading by placing my sanitzed hydrometer directly in the fermenting bucket. I guess it's possible that my actual reading is more like 1.014 and I'm just unable to tell due to the difficulty in reading it at an angle. Also, it looks just a little tiny bit cloudy. Is this normal? Should I go ahead and bottle or try another method the get the gravity in my target range (1.010 to 1.014)?

Back