Beersmith question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breweringbeaz

Reaction score
I've been toying with a recipe I found on this site in beer smith. When I input the recipe as listed I get the correct OG and color; however the IBUs are way off. The desired IBUs are 36 however when I plug in the recipe i get 45 ibus the hop additions are below. Any assistance would be great.0.50 oz. Sorachi Ace, 10.50%aa @FWH.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @FWH.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @30 min.
1.00 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @15 min.

The problem may be with the FWH as people liken it to a 20 or 30 minute hop addition. Eventhough the IBU's will be high it is not as "forward bitter."

How big do you have your boil set? The bigger the boil the better the efficiency of IBU's.

histo320 said:
The problem may be with the FWH as people liken it to a 20 or 30 minute hop addition. Eventhough the IBU's will be high it is not as "forward bitter."

How big do you have your boil set? The bigger the boil the better the efficiency of IBU's.

The recipe called for a 5.5 gallon batch size.

IMO I would go with it. I believe it is the FWH addition. It may taste more like 36 but Beersmith calculates as 45.

Are the AAs the same, the default values in the software for each hop may be different as well

duboman said:
Are the AAs the same, the default values in the software for each hop may be different as well

I was looking at that as well that drops it a few points to around 41

Latest posts

Back