All Grain Hurts!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoopdog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok...I did my first All Grain batch today. Started my water and a small pot with 2 gallons of water to pre-heat the old mash tun. Life is good...doing EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, drinking a few SNPA's to get me in the mood. It is raining, thunder, lighting, etc...no big deal, just moved everything to the garage. Water is ready, put two gallons of boiling water into my little 5 gallon mash tun to preheat, oh yeah, ready to brew!!!:rockin: Now the kicker...do not, I repeat do not, put two gallons in a 5 gallon mash tun, shut the lid and shake the crap out of it. I know, sounds like a great idea, but just swirl it and put the lid on, trust me!!! If you shake it, it will hurt you. The lid will pop off due to expansion, and the water will, I repeat will get all over your hand and arms. I know, I have seen it and experienced it!!! OUCH!!!:( Dumb A$$ I am!!! Luckily, my neighbor is a Firefighter and Paramedic, so he let me know wheter the idiot cop needed to go to the hospital. Macho cop is ok and continued on with the brew day:ban: The mash went ok after the feeling (painful, but feeling) came back to the left wrist. A little low on the pre-boil gravity, but a little dextrose and I was back on track. Hit the final gravity ok and pitched dry yeast. This will definitely be called the Dumba$$ Blister Pale Ale. Hopefully, my next All Grain batch does not hurt as much!!!:mug:
Picture of the Shoopdog's wounds: Ouch.jpg

Ouch. BTW, you only need to add about 3 quarts of 170 degree water to preheat your MLT. It will burn too though. Take care of burn so you don't get an infection.

Aloe vera works wonders on burns. We have a nice plant on the patio for burns.

Next time add the water and forget it for 10-15 minutes.

That looks like it hurt! I bet the beer will be excellent!
I was heating up my mash (in a pot), to get it to saccarification rest. I decided to move the contents into the mash/lauter tun for the hour rest time, so I asked my buddy to help. Well, I had just cleaned the tun out and forgot to close the spigot; I did this when I was first starting out. We took the mash and dumped it in the tun and my friend shouts "Ouch," the mash is draining through the open spigot, I go and shut instantly. It got on his leg, he was wearing shorts, so it burnt him slightly but he was ok. I sure learned my lesson! You have to be really careful.

EdWort said:
Ouch. BTW, you only need to add about 3 quarts of 170 degree water to preheat your MLT. It will burn too though. Take care of burn so you don't get an infection.

Thanks for the info...I was way over zealous with the first run, but next time I will definitely learn from my mistakes!:eek:

Blender said:
Aloe vera works wonders on burns. We have a nice plant on the patio for burns.

Next time add the water and forget it for 10-15 minutes.

Aloe Vera, Neosporin, and Lidocaine, etc...I should make it. SWMBO just thinks I'm a moron and came into the garage after the incident to make sure I didn't kill myself, or burn the house down.

At your expense, thanks for the lesson learned. It'll save some of us other dumbaXXes the same tragedy.

Ta for the warning!

...I think I have learned just about the same number of things not to do whilst making beers as things TO do whilst making beer!

...Lets be careful out there!

That looks like 2nd degree, better get to the doc. Burns get infected real easy once the skin breaks. I got a 3rd degree burn that took months to heal. Enough said....

a blister like that does indicate a 2nd degree burn, but careful care and wound management will prevent infection. DO NOT POP THE BLISTER. It will happen on its own, but for now, just leave it be. Cover loosely with a dressing if you might get it dirty, or if anything might rub on it. When it does pop, and it will, wash with clean water, pat dry with clean towel, and apply a thin layer of polysporin before covering with a light dressing. Do not use occlusive dressings, that burn needs to breathe. After the first few days of that, you can start leaving it open to the air for progressively longer periods of time. If its gets red, gooey or stinky, see your doctor.

Thnx everyone for the well wishes and great advice...After reviewing my session, I found a lot of things that I could have done better. All Grain has a steeper learning curve, but the process is a blast. Here's to the next batch (without the pain)!
:mug:

Cheers,
Shoopdog

Wow, I think I would have called it a day. Cudos to you for sticking it out and learning from your mistakes!

As a side note, I pre-heat my MLT with tap water set to it's hottest setting. Then I just spray it in my MLT with the spray nozzel in my kitchen, cap, set it in the sun and let the steam do the rest.

Take it easy, and heal up man, I hate hearing about people getting hurt.

Good grief that looks painful!

You'll feel better knowing I did almost the same thing this weekend doing my first PM. I poured ~170ish degree water over my hand when picking up my MLT. :(

I feel your pain!
Well almost, and it was mine, not yours.
My first AG with my keggle I got careless and briefly touched the bottom rim of the keggle with my forearm. Was branded with part of the keg's orginal owner's name. Had a big "BU" on my arm for a while.

I take 1/2 gallon of boiling water, put in corny, cap it, and shake.

Builds up a LOT of pressure.

A friend of mine did this, then GRABBED the keg - ouch like a MF. (glad he did it before me)

Back