Stuck mash?....No problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onescalerguy

Reaction score
Started to experience a stuck mash today so i employed a trick suggested by a fellow homebrewer that worked fantastic.I hooked the CO2 hose up to the nipple on the mash tun (cooler)valve and gave it a couple blasts of ,holding the lid closed of course,and "bam",no more blockage,full flow.I wish i'd have thought of it with a previous stuck mash which was a total disaster and waste.I use a SS braid btw.
Cheers:mug:

I had my first stuck mash last weekend and I remembered something "Doc" from the brewing network said, use your paddle and cut slits into the mash bed. Well I cut 4 slits and she started following again. It worked like a champ and I didnt have to get my Co2.

Great idea, didn't work for me, but great idea. I think it would work normally though, the problem is that my SS braid is just shot. Just straight water is hardly flowing out, back to the drawing board.

I had a stuck mash ones. I just blue on the end of the cooler nozzle to unclog the mash. Its all pre boil so I'm not worried about bacteria yet.

I got my first stuck mash today. I tried blowing in the hose and cutting slits in the mash bed. Neither one worked. It has been dribbling out for about an hour and a half now. I guess I will just wait and see how it turns out. I'm making a pumpkin ale and I forgot to add a lb of rice hulls. I guess I learned my lesson.

I'm with you, Jolly. If we are doing a particularly finicky mash (something with gummy grains or low water to mash ratio) and it gets stuck, blowing on the tube tends to work well enough to loosen up the bed. Good suggestion though! I'll keep it in mind.

Back