Spicy mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahallasbrew2

Reaction score
A mead or brew made with some red chilies, jalapeno peppers, maybe a tad bit of a habenaro for that spicy taste and maybe a bell pepper to make it konda sweet? What are your thoughts? This is just a complete random idea

I have a 2 litre test batch that used Scotch Bonnet chillis clearing now. Do a search for Capsicumel, you should find a few examples of people trying.

If you are going to do this keep in mind that you get more than just heat from the peppers, you get the taste as well. I have a one gallon test batch going that has Ancho and California chiles in it and I think it taste awesome, just the right amount of heat too.

Excellent idea, just remember, the hotter the peppers, the hotter the mead.

I believe the term for this is: Capsicumel

So far I've done a jalapeno mead and a habanero mead.
The jalapeno come out without any heat what so ever and had a very peppery taste. I myself am not too fond of it, but my friends really liked it.
I kicked it up a notch with the the habanero mead and tossed in the pepper with the seeds and pith. It is still in secondary, but I did take a little for a taster when I racked it last. It's very sweet, which is what I was aiming for with an og of 1.150, and has a very nice mouth warming feel to it that starts off slow and doesn't get too hot. But then again I like hot stuff so I could be murder so someone with a lesser tolerance.

Back