Sealing Wax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinman13

Reaction score
I was just at a local brew show and one of the items I looked at was the bottle sealing wax but at $13 -15 per LB (I know from looking at on line stores is the going rate) was more than I would spend.
What is so special about this wax? Outside of the color
How about candle wax from a craft store? Or melt down crayons ?

I don't buy sealing wax, but I do use "cheese wax". The reason it works so well is because of the texture- it gets thin and runny to use, but hardens quickly and comes off in one big sheet. Crayons are not all wax, and wouldn't melt well and then not be easily removed. Or at least I assume, from trying to remove crayons from clothing and other items when my kids were small!

I hardly ever use wax, though. I use those "shrink wrap" covers for wine that I'm gifting. It's quick and easy and really dresses up the wine bottle!

I recall a thread mixing crayon wax with glue sticks for a homeade sealing wax. The results looked good. I would just go with shrink wrappers though, way less hassle.

Latest posts

Back