BB kits vs AHS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srl135

Reaction score
I have done a search and found a lot of back and forth responses but was wondering your opinion on a BB kit vs a recipe from AHS?

I started on Defalcos which I liked because I could watch them prepare my ingredients and didnt deal with the metal cans for the LME, so I was dissapointed when i found out the BB kit seemed like it was prepared and stored for who knows how long.

Reason Im asking is that since Im in PA, the shipping plus the recipe turns out to be more $ than the LHBS so is it worth a shot?

My critique so far is a pumpkin porter (BB kit), which isnt bad, but just seemed to lack much in the way of pumpkin other than aroma (damn thing smells like pumpkin pie, without the flavor). If you dont think about it being a pumpkin beer then its a pretty good porter! :drunk:

You never know how old a BB kit is, whereas you are always getting fresh product from AHS (or any other high volume online retailer). I did two BB kits before switching to kits from Rebel and AHS for that reason alone.

First, I've heard nothing but good from AHS and their Kits.

Second, I'd take any big online retailer (because of inventory turnover) over a BB kits any day.

It's bound to be fresher.

That said, I was fairly impressed with the instructions that came with a friend's BB kit, and have never seen an AHS instructional. BUT I do know that the owner of AHS frequents this site and can answer any questions.

AND almost anyone on here can answer any questions on either kit..

So get the AHS kit for it's freshness.

Have you looked at the Northern Brewer kits? They're on the cheaper side, almost always cheaper than AHS (for the styles I looked at), but way fewer clone kits. I've always been pleased.

I've done kits from AHS, Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer and was very happy with all of them.

It's bound to be fresher..

It's hard to get LME any fresher than from Austin Homebrew Supply. Forrest buys LME by the 55 gallon barrel. When you walk in, they pour it for you right there and mail order is poured when the order is filled.

No bags or cans filled who knows when.

Maybe Forrest will chime in on how much LME he goes through in a week.

Yeah I think the consensus is just don't use boxed or canned kits. anything else is pretty much golden.

AHS kits are fantastic. Plus their customer service is amazing. They are a little more expensive than NB but after ordering from both, I think their kits are better. The directions are easy to follow and included with the kit.

Haven't ordered a kit from anyone but Forrest in years. No one matches his selection and I love making clones of beers I may never have a chance to taste from the brewery.

Haven't ordered a kit from anyone but Forrest in years. No one matches his selection and I love making clones of beers I may never have a chance to taste from the brewery.
Me too, I just don't want to sell any of the other guys like MW, NB, MB, and the dozens of others people mention on here short...they are ALL better than a canned or boxed kit, period.

You never know how old a BB kit is, whereas you are always getting fresh product from AHS (or any other high volume online retailer). I did two BB kits before switching to kits from Rebel and AHS for that reason alone.

I've only bought from Rebel since it's so close and I don't have to pay shipping since I can pick up from the store. How does their kits compare to what you'd get from AHS?

Love AHS and Midwest and MoreBeer over any of the BB kits. The instructions were great with the BB kit, but you are strapped in to the kit. At least when you get a custom kit from one of the guys I listed you can change the yeast, sometimes even the amount of priming sugar, leave off the caps, etc. And like everyone else has said, it's much fresher.

I would also throw my vote to Tom at Rebel Brewer for his kits. The one I just got was all around top notch. And keep in mind , Brewmaster's Warehouse (who I also really like) and Rebel Brewer grind your grains and seal up your boxes after pulling the grain.

I've only bought from Rebel since it's so close and I don't have to pay shipping since I can pick up from the store. How does their kits compare to what you'd get from AHS?

IMO kits are kits as long as you get them fresh. I've done 3 from AHS and 3 from Rebel and I've been pleased with all of them.

i have done AHS and Midwest and BB. BB came out good can't complain, but i'd take AHS over it.

i'll give the nod to AHS as my fav place to buy from due to selection and prices. free shipping if spend 100 which is like 3 kits. midwest is good quality too, but their shipping ends up making it to expensive.

right now conditioning AHS Fat tire clone
in primary AHS Half Wit

Latest posts

Back