Mash/decoction profiles for lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannonb

Reaction score
Hey all:

I recently did my first lager (a Bohemian Pilsner). I did lots of research to figure out the best decoction/mash steps I could. I ended up with
dough in infusion 70 for 30 min
acid rest infusion 95 for 20 min
protein rest decoction brings mash up to 127 for 10 min
saccharafication decoction brings mash up to 143 for 20 min
mash out decoction brings up to 163 for 5 mins

Now I am ready to lager that beer...I hope the extra effort of the decoction pays off in maltiness, etc.

My real question is about different mash/decoction schedules (temps and times) for my next beer (a Marzen). I have read many a recipe and discussion and find that the temps are all over the place. Maybe it's just experience to an extent, but surely there is a recommended set of temps for a Pils and a different set for a darker Marzen, etc.

Anybody have an opinion?
-just kidding I know you do :)

Anybody have some practical charts or reference I can rely on to produce different styles now that I'm able to brew lagers?

Thanks,

BannonB

Greg Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer" recommends rests at 131 and 153-158 for modern highly modified malts (which you almost certainly use). If you want to brew lager I highly recommend that book, my lagers vastly improved after reading it. I think you should be able to find it on amazon for less than $15.

If you wanted to do a triple decoction with that schedule:

Mash in 104 degrees (acid rest)
decoct up to 131 degrees (protein/sacch rest)
decoct up to 153 degrees (sacch/dextrinization rest)
decoct up to 168 degrees (mash out)

I generally do a double decoction with no mash out if I'm going to do a decoction.

Greg Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer" recommends rests at 131 and 153-158 for modern highly modified malts (which you almost certainly use). If you want to brew lager I highly recommend that book, my lagers vastly improved after reading it. I think you should be able to find it on amazon for less than $15.

If you wanted to do a triple decoction with that schedule:

Mash in 104 degrees (acid rest)
decoct up to 131 degrees (protein/sacch rest)
decoct up to 153 degrees (sacch/dextrinization rest)
decoct up to 168 degrees (mash out)

I generally do a double decoction with no mash out if I'm going to do a decoction.

That's my schedule- a higher protein rest at 133 and then saccrification rests. For my current BoPils, I did 133/149/156/168 (mash out).

My pH didn't need an acid rest.

I don't usually do decoctions for Marzens, but I did do a temperature step mash.

That's my schedule- a higher protein rest at 133 and then saccrification rests. For my current BoPils, I did 133/149/156/168 (mash out).

My pH didn't need an acid rest.

I don't usually do decoctions for Marzens, but I did do a temperature step mash.

Yeah, you can probably get away without an acid rest, I used it because I was using Poland Spring water to try to replicate Plzen water and I was worried about the pH, but the pH was right after about 10 minutes. I've also read that you can improve your efficiency slightly by resting at acid rest temperatures because beta-glucan breaks down and this releases more of the starch. I haven't done any side-by-side experiments to determine if this is true. I have gotten 90%+ efficiencies with triple decoction though (I guess boiling a large portion of the grain and soaking in hot water for 2+ hours could also greatly contribute to the improved efficiency.

Thanks guys!

I see different mash temps between the multiple responses, and Beersmith tends to use that 156 degree saccharification rest too. I think I'll try the lower one that PK suggests and get the book!

Well, the saccharification temperature you use depends on how much residual sweetness you want. I like a really dry beer, so I tend to use a lower mash temperature. Some people think that Maerzen should be a bit sweeter, but I don't even add caramel malts to mine. Anyway, I'm sure your beer will turn out well if you get the book.

Back